New Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some T&E from a well known Internet supplier S??????X, and was was very disappointed to find the outer plastic almost impossible to slide off once cut.

I know Im pretty weak but this is very frustrating. :evil:

Any good ideas on how to make it slip off a little easier without the use of a knife??

I must say that other stuff I bought has been most satisfactory.

Sponsored Links
not surprised, you dont strip it off. you trim back with side cutters an inch or so, then with pliers you pull the earth backwards, (while holding the end) it then cuts it for as long as you pull it

Thanks, that's something else I've learnt today. All the years I've been trying to avoid slashing the inner insulation with a knife............

breezer said:
not surprised, you dont strip it off. you trim back with side cutters an inch or so, then with pliers you pull the earth backwards, (while holding the end) it then cuts it for as long as you pull it

AHHH breezer not allowed to do that....
its the way i was shown how to do it, its the way my brother still does it and so do most people, but at collage the other day the bloke said we arnt allowed to do it as it streches the cable and lowers the capacity...............wouldent have thaught it would make a huge difference......And i always thaught it was the correct way....is he just trying to make everyones life harder, or should i just adopt his method til i pass...?

AR

Sponsored Links
You can get tools that strip sheathing and inner core insulation from flat T&E in one go....

ban-all-sheds said:
You can get tools that strip sheathing and inner core insulation from flat T&E in one go....

i havent found one yet that dont get jammed or break, plus its more money for something that wont last 5 mins....i think ill just go the way i was shown by him, which is to run the stanly knife down the major axis of the cable and then pull the insulation apart......takes longer though.....

AR

supersparks said:
breezer said:

AHHH breezer not allowed to do that....
its the way i was shown how to do it, its the way my brother still does it and so do most people, but at collage the other day the bloke said we arnt allowed to do it as it streches the cable and lowers the capacity...............wouldent have thaught it would make a huge difference......And i always thaught it was the correct way....is he just trying to make everyones life harder, or should i just adopt his method til i pass...?

AR

******.......what happens when your pulling cables though the joists then.....I think your college lecturer is getting bored....and decided to make up a few stories to pass time......every-ones wiring techniques are different......carry on as you were soldier. :LOL:

Yo - and time is money to some people.

The only ones I can track down are variations on these sorts of things:

C603312-02.jpg

TL02066-01.jpg

But I saw one once in a tool catalogue that looked like a really magic device. They had a series of photos showing it working - it was a fairly bulky thing, and you inserted the end of the cable into a hole in the body - looked as though it went in about 4", squeezed the handle, and pulled out the cable to find the sheath gone and the ends of the conductors stripped.

This was several years ago, and it was around the £100 mark - from memory it was a good make like CK or Sandvik.

****.......what happens when your pulling cables though the joists then.....I think your college lecturer is getting bored....and decided to make up a few stories to pass time......every-ones wiring techniques are different......carry on as you were soldier. :LOL:

well, Thats pretty much the responce i got when i mentioned it to my brother.......Apart from he said something like tell him to stop talking ****......dont think that would be a good idea.....yet :LOL:

and those strippers.....a little pricy me thinks.....and probrably wouldent fit in your back pocket without your trousers comming down :LOL: :LOL:

AR

scissors.jpg

Try these.......dead cheap aswell....and your college lecturer will be satisfied.... :LOL:

I use one of these when making of SWA

images

As a stanley knife is very dangerous, one could quite easily cut themselves

il78 said:
I use one of these when making of SWA

images

As a stanley knife is very dangerous, one could quite easily cut themselves
hahaha, great stuff, like the idea of junior school safty scissors! :LOL: :LOL:

AR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back