Using flexible cable for fixed lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the light fitting in my porch. The 1.0mm T&E cable goes out of the back of the fitting, through the wall into the hall, down inside about 9" of plastic trunking, and into the 16mm pattress box holding the switch.

The new fitting (LED with PIR etc) was clearly designed by someone trying to squeeze everything into the smallest possible space without any thought about how it might be installed in practice :( There is an open-fronted black plastic rectangular box with a M16 knock-out in the back which will be screwed the wall. The actual lamp unit is fitted onto a open-backed metal box which is bolted over the plastic box like a cover.

The T&E cable (a new length to replace the old) will come into the back almost directly behind the 4-way connector block and the cores will need to be bent at 90 degrees about 1/2" from their end in order to feed them into the screw terminals. The problem is that there is simple no room inside the unit, once assembled, to accommodate any slack in the T&E cores, so when the front is placed over the back the T&E is forced back through the wall. If I then bring it straight down into the trunking and into the switch, there is no way that the light can be disassembled for any reason without first removing the T&T tail from the light switch :(

One possibility seems to be to use 3-core flex instead of T&E, as a trial shows that the extra flexibility of the multi-stranded cores can allow for a small amount of slack to be left inside the fitting. I have a length of 0.75mm 3-core flex that I could use; given that 0.75mm flex is often used for pendant lights anyway on a domestic lighting circuit fused at 5A, would that be OK for the switch to fitting connection?

For further flexibility, what if I stripped the outer sheath off a section of the flex within the trunking, so that the separate cores could be doubled back on themselves to provide for extra slack (the minimum bend radius is too much if the outer sheath is left in place)?

Sponsored Links
Either flex or T+E the sheath should enter the fitting, single insulation within the wall or even the trunking is not ideal.
Use 3 core flex from light to the pattress dont worry about slack, how likely is it you will ever remove it again and if so it dont seem a major job to disconnect at the patress again.

Last edited:
To be clear, I would certainly keep the outer sheath for the flex through the wall until it had passed through the rubber grommet supplied to fit the cut-out in the back of the fitting. I was just thinking of stripping a length of it off within the 16x16mm plastic trunking above the switch, but that may not be necessary.

As an aside....another example of the bad design IMHO is that, when trying to cable it with T&E, as soon as the fitting is pushed back onto the backplate the end of the sheathed part of the T&E gets pushed back through the rubber grommet. I normally put some silicone sealant around the grommet, but any such seal is promptly broken then :( However using flex instead the cores flex more easily inside the fitting and the sheath stays in place (hopefully!).

Sponsored Links
To be clear, I would certainly keep the outer sheath for the flex through the wall until it had passed through the rubber grommet supplied to fit the cut-out in the back of the fitting. I was just thinking of stripping a length of it off within the 16x16mm plastic trunking above the switch, but that may not be necessary.

As an aside....another example of the bad design IMHO is that, when trying to cable it with T&E, as soon as the fitting is pushed back onto the backplate the end of the sheathed part of the T&E gets pushed back through the rubber grommet. I normally put some silicone sealant around the grommet, but any such seal is promptly broken then :( However using flex instead the cores flex more easily inside the fitting and the sheath stays in place (hopefully!).
I feel your pain, just had to swap an up and down outside light and although exactly the same on the outside on the inside the manufacturer had built the connector block almost directly in front of the cable entry, not only that but the connector block was directly attached in that position to the metal unit via an earth tab about as wide as a match stick and as thin as a piece of paper - which of course snapped off during the struggle.
Luckily the old one used a crimped ring on a short earth fly-lead into the connector block so I used that instead.
Oh and then the metal unit was attached to the plastic baseplate with 2 bolts with dome cap nuts and a hex shape indent in the back of the plastic then even with the pbaseplate firmly on th wall the bolts just pushed too low what you tried to get the nut on. After struggling with it to get the wires in I then jhad to take the whole thing off and glue the bolts in position on from the back.
Patience was tested that day - I tell you.

Sounds very much the same as the one that I fitted and only managed to wire up finally this week! In similar situations previously I have disconnected and relocated the connector block, but it was too much of a struggle with this one and really nowhere else to put it anyway :( I wonder if any of the 'designers' of such things are ever asked to wire them in place as a test ???

Slide a short metal ruler in behind the fixing bolts to stop them from being pushed back

....or stick a piece of duck tape across the back .
I tried the ruler and that was no enough as the hex hole to the ruler was still too deep and even hitting the ruler was enough to not have enough thread sticking out to get the nut on.
Tape worked but had to take off and stuff the tape in the hex hole.

The most stupid design ever.

I have long held the view that any designer should be made to fit a few of the units in realistic real life type situations before light fitting etc could be released onto the market. That change could sometimes be dramatic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back