Can i use 3184yh flex in a lighting circuit?

Hi John. I will be talking to the VAT man later this week to see if there is a legal way I can recover some of the VAT now that I know the full extent of the very necessary work needed on the cottage.
That sounds very sensible.

If I ( owner of listed building ) had employed myself ( VAT registered sole trader ) to renovate the building then I ( sole trader ) could apply zero rating to some of the work and apparently reclaim the VAT that I ( sole trader ) had to pay on some of the materials.
If the sole trader were someone other than yourself, then my understanding is that what you say would certainly be true - but I don't know whether they have built in any rules to prevent you employing youself in the fashion you describe.

But if I employ myself in oprder to reduce VAT liability then I am probably going to have to pay tax on the money I ( sole trader ) charge myself ( owner ) for labour as it is earned income.
Again, a matter of what the system will allow you to get away with - but if you charged yourself little or nothing for labour, the tax would obviously also be little or nothing.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The clicking isn't going to be a problem. It can even be a benefit.., a confirmation that the switch has operated something.

Almost all semi-conductor switches and / or the protection devices "leak" a small amount of current when they are off. This is often enough energy to make an energy saving lamp flash or LEDs to glow dimly but noticeable when the light is off.

Yes we ran into such a problem when the kitchen GU10s were changed from halogen to LED. For the kitchen circuits (4 of them with 4 lamps/circuit) we changed the TRIACs for dry contact relays. We had done past projects with PLCs but instead we used 2X Velleman(VM142) PIC project boards with a Microchip 16F630. Just a simple 8 bit RISC processor and coded it in assembly language. If we had more time I would have liked to design a PC board for it but as always, in a hurry!!

VAT is charged on rewires on listed buildings. Rewires are classed as maintenance and repair according to HMRC

A one for one rewire with minor adaptations may be classed as maintenance but a rewire, including new circuits for new (and importantly approved) alterations are zero rated for VAT.

Sponsored Links
The wiring regulations discriminate between the use of flexible and cable.

The 3184 flex isn't considered suitable for fixed wiring unless additional mechanical protection and support is provided.

Once you have done this, as suggested, you may as well have bought the correct materials for less.

Can you quote the relevent regs for me please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back