New car - dodgy mileage?

Sponsored Links
I'm just interested in what might of happened, I appreciate it's not mine or your job to work out what's going on, it's up to the dealer to explain themselves. I suppose the mileage might have got mixed up and recorded oddly because the car was on different plates at different times... I dunno not yours or my job to work that out.

An alternative possibility is that The National Mileage register has data corruption. This can be confirmed by looking at the independent MOT histories/certificates. If these show up and down then the meter is definitely bad.

Sponsored Links
Complete speculation, but the DVLA have been known to be tardy of late.
How long would it take to register a number plate?
If a milage was reported at application, that would be the same number reported at completion.
And if there were any delays (a quick search suggests 4 - 6 weeks is normal), any subsequent recordings (i.e. between application and completion) would show a jump in the milage?

Put an obd2 scanner on it the cars actual mileage should show up

Put an obd2 scanner on it the cars actual mileage should show up

I've researched that, apparently the OBD2 reading is just an estimate not a real reading. Not sure if that is true, but it's what the internet says :)

Pretty sure my bmw records mileage in the ecu? But I wont go to war over it :mrgreen:

When I bought my BMW four years ago (it's an old car, built '98) the history showed two consecutive MOT's where the mileage was listed as 'unrecordable' followed by the next test where the mileage had increased by exactly 10,000m. The tamper dot is showing as well, but for all I know it could be explained by a cluster replacement to rectify the faulty odometer, with the mileage over those two years being estimated.

Anyway the car has been very reliable in my ownership, with zero engine oil consumption, so I'm not concerned if the current 162k is correct.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back