New carpet, internal doors now rub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after having a new carpet fitted the doors in our house now rub on the carpet. we only had the doors fitted about a year ago, they are those white panelled doors that are about 20 quid each.

what's the best method for removing a couple of millimetres off the bottom?

1) Electric Plane
2) Belt Sander
3) Rip saw (handheld cicular saw)
4) (currently the wifes favourite :eek:) lay sheets of sandpaper on the floor and repeatedly open and close the door :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
go with the wife
, my missus is quite frequently right when it comes to DIY! :D

No doubt 'electric plane' but do not make a full pass from one side to the other, the first and last 3ins is end grain so approach the job from each side, oh and no guesswork, work to marked line.
Of course you could fit carpet hinges(rising butts)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I do this regular for a Carpet contractor friend of mine.I find the best method is to just set the fence on a Circular saw to the required amount ( sounds like 5mm will do for you ) and with one pass the jobs done.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the tips.

just off to do the job in a minute so expect a post in the DIY Disasters forum :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hi,

I asked the same question a few days ago. Go to the bottom of your screen & click page 2 or 3 etc... for previous entries. I got some good tips but ended up just drawing a line along bottom, starting sawing each end with a fine tooth tenon saw (to prevent splitting), then I used a medium rip saw & some time later (a good 20 minutes) the job was done. I am told most carpet installers have a special circular gadget to do the job in situ.

they use this
555.jpg

its a jamb saw

The beauty of this saw (picture above) is that they cut the bottom of the door parallel to the floor.Not all hire shop stock them and only worth it if you got more than one door unless its heavy. Very handy tool for cutting bottom of skirting board (if you don't want to remove it) and door frame for laminated flooring to slide underneath but I was warned by the Hire Tools Shop if I hit any nails or wall and damaged the saw blade,I would have to find £120 for a new blade ! God,was I nervous that day !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back