New ceiling and lighting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently prepping the new office for plastering, I have ripped the old ceiling down and ive ran a new loop of 1.5 T&E ready for the new downlights, I have created a loop in the cable approx. where each light will be going, I don’t have access from the floor above as it’s a tiled bathroom floor so I need to ensure all works is done before I have the plaster do his thang. I want to know the best way of wiring up the loop… In the centre of the room is the existing lamp holder with two feeds in.

I guess ill need to change this to a JB and connect the new loop into that? if this is right shall I do this before the boarding goes up and just hang it loose through a hole where a spot will go? There is no natural light in this room so we need something 

Summary: What is the full process of wiring up a loop for downlights in a new ceiling, will be having 6 lights.

Sponsored Links
PMSL!!!

I can wire them up fine im just asking what the easiest way is. i dont want to have to start damaging the new ceiling trying to route the cables our with my fish.

OP - you would have more replies if you re-post this in the UK ELECTRICS section.

One of the leccy experts will advise you on how best to do it.

However, try to ignore any potential 'advice' on your choice of lighting set-up.

:D

Sponsored Links
Plasterers don't like this approach

BUT

I like to cut my holes in the plasterboard before the ceiling is plastered. Then its easy to patch up if you make a horlicks of the positions.

;)

I tend to take the existing light position cable to a point where one of the downlights is going to be. If this is not possible then you have two possible options, new cables of a maintenance free junction.
From that point you can route the cables to there desired locations, leave plenty of slack and clip the cable in place.
Make a plan of the ceiling and measure the locations of the positions of the cable drops.

The plasterer can then do their work unhindered.
Once plaster is dried, you can get your ceiling plan out and proceed with holing and drawing the cables through.

You will require, to make sure there is no potential danger with regards to live electrics in the ceiling, so any live terminals must be enclosed safely.

Hi All,

I am currently prepping the new office for plastering, I have ripped the old ceiling down and ive ran a new loop of 1.5 T&E ready for the new downlights.

It would be easier if you use 1.0mm cable which is all that is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back