New central heating boiler needed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - would appreciate your help please.

I live in a one bedroom ground floor flat in London and currently have an Ideal Classic boiler for central heating (approx 15 yrs old) and a Main Medway Super (approx 13 yrs old) for hot water. The Main is playing up - pilot not lighting, cutting out in use, NOT cutting out after tap is turned off which is obviously dangerous and it is also leaking water from somewhere.

Can anyone please suggest a combi or condensing combi boiler to replace them both with, and approximate costs for supply and fitting, including removing both the old boilers and bricking up resulting hole in wall?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Intergas Combi Compact HRE. As it's a combi, the power is largely determined by your hot water requirements and available flow rate.

Costs for supply and fitting can only be determined after a site visit as there are too many variables to be able to give any idea without seeing the job first.

You say combi or condensing combi - all boilers are now condensing, it hasn't been legal to fit a non-condensing boiler in the UK for a few years

muggles,why has it been a legal requirement to fit a condensing boiler in the uk.
are exceptions available to enable a non condensing boiler to be fitted.
a nationwide boiler heating supplier still sells non condensing boilers are they breaking the muggles law.

over to you.

2005 was (I think) the year when it became compulsory to fit HE boilers. However there are exceptions as with some houses it is impossible to fit these boilers and flue them correctly. I've yet to come across such a property. Maybe a listed building would qualify. If you have a medway then a combi would be an ideal replacement for it and the old classic. I don't recommend any particular brand as that is best left to your installer.

Sponsored Links
Viessmann vitoden 100w. Hard to give a price without a survey, but I would say in the region of £1800-1950

muggles,why has it been a legal requirement to fit a condensing boiler in the uk.
are exceptions available to enable a non condensing boiler to be fitted.
a nationwide boiler heating supplier still sells non condensing boilers are they breaking the muggles law.

over to you.

See 45's post, it's been a requirement of building regulations for six years now. It is theoretically possible to get permission to fit a non-condenser but there are so very many things you have to prove as to why you really can't fit a condenser that it's virtually impossible to get an exemption.

It's perfectly legal to sell them, so your unnamed nationwide boiler heating supplier is not breaking the law, but it's not legal to fit them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back