New central heating boiler

Sponsored Links
It's implssible from here to know what the pipe circuit is. Telling us there's a pipe on the left. etc doesn't really help. Try to determine the layout of things so you can descrie it on the manner of the last para of my last post.

I don't eg know where the vent is connected. Perhaps yopu can draw it out and email it?

Witzend said:
The return from the cylinder and the CH expansion feed pipe is on the return pipe to the boiler LHS (under floor). The pump is after the bypass pipe on the RHS flow side of the boiler (under floor).Is this wrong?
I contacted Hep-Heating again and asked Can you tell me whether it would cause problems if
1. the central heating expansion tank refill pipe is connected into the
system just before it returns to the boiler (not before the pump on the
flow pipe as recommended in the Micron install. guide)

2. The bypass pipe is situated about 2 feet away from the boiler, not 2
metres as per diagram in installation manual.
The pipe is also 15mm not 22mm as instructed.

I realised after sending the email that the 2 metres was probably the length of the pipework and not the actual distance from the boiler but wot the hell...I'm a girly.

Their reply was "I can confirm that the close coupled vent and
cold feed is the preferred option. Putting the cold feed on the return
would be likely to cause problems where either there was insufficient
static head or the system resistance was unusually high. Moreover, the
bypass should be 22mm and the total bypass length should be a minimum of 4m"

Well the plumber paid us a visit. The heating hadn't come on this morning (rather it made it's 5 min start then cut out) so we left it til he arrived.

The CH heating valve stuck, the boiler ran a few mins then locked out and didn't open until the system had cooled down then it ran. He checked to see if system was pumping over into loft but said it wasn't. Told us that as not all our rads have TRV's we don't really need a bypass valve and plans to come back to move the cold feed to within 6 inches of the expansion pipe which is just above the boiler. I don't want a sealed system as much of the pipework has been in for 20 yrs :eek:

We now need a sparky to check that the valve is operating properly (without a delay) and to tidy up the messy wiring.

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Hey Kev- had a mate who went from Essex to Southampton for a date on the strength of 'a sexy voice' on the 'phone. Boy was he glad he didn't bump into anyone he knew!

Completely ignoring those postings... a sparky called round and the central heating valve was working BUT the plumbers had shoved the old cylinder stat on the cylinder and it was fastened together with the strapping. It just fell off in bits, which explains why the hot water was so hot no matter what temp. it was set to! Chalatans or what? :evil:

The heating worked both times on the following day but then started locking out each day since, morning and afternoon sessions. Yesterday it locked out after only being off for an hour.

What would cause this?

By the way the air is now collecting in the last upstairs rad, where it has always collected since our extension was built. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back