Single pipe heating system problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 4 bedroom house built in 1950 with an oil fired Thorn 90/120 boiler connected to a one-pipe system with 8 rads downstairs and 8 rads upstairs all fed from pipework in the first floor. We have thankfully had very few boiler problems over the past 24 years, but the boiler stopped last week and on investigating I discovered that the F&E tank in the loft was empty as the ballcock had stuck in the up position. This was easily rectified and the tank refilled itself and the boiler restarted and runs providing hot water but no heat to the radiators.
I have tried bleeding a number of the rads, and this enables some heat to rise in that rad temporarily, but doesn't effect the other rads.

The curious thing is that for many years the heating system used to have priority when the boiler started, and only once the rads were all warm would the bath water get hot. However recently the water gets hot first, with the result that the boiler shuts down before the rads can heat up.

Are these two observations connected, and what can I do to remedy the problems?

Sponsored Links
Check/bleed the pump for starters.

From your description I'm guessing gravity circulation to cylinder, pumped to rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back