Radiators not heating up. - New System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central Heating RADs not Heating - New System
Hi, I have had a new Boiler Vaillant EcoTect Plus 831 and 8 new radiators installed as part off my building work. Now the system wasn't tested as the building work went on but was getting hot water coming out.

Now the hot water works perfectly and heats up efficiently.

The problems lies in the RADs. The pressure is at 2.4bar and all rads are bleeded to let all air out.

The first 2 closest radiators heat up boiling hot but the water water hardly reaches upstairs. You either get cold or warm pipes and rads never heat up.

I researched on balancing and closing the first 2 boiling rads supply to quater turn and left for 2 hours and still nothing.

Now I shut all rads and only left one open in the bedroom and still hardly ever get the hot water to travel upstairs.

The return pipe is always cold. Now I'm not sure if the setting on the boiler are set correctly or needs tweaking. Read the manual few times and i found my way round the menu system.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Not part of your problems, but the pressure is far too high - it should be 1.0 - 1.2bar when cold

You say you've found your way around the menu system. What settings have you altered?

Make sure boiler power is set to "Auto"

What was your old system running on, IE what boiler? Did you have a hot water cylinder?

Ok, I will change pressure to 1.2

I altered the pump speed to 100% as I thought the pump was not pumping water around or not enough power.

The pump overrun time changed that to 1min from 5min

Boiler power is set to Auto

My old system was a open vented cylinder system and all rads were working.

Any other thoughts appreciated

check you have fully opened the valves on the flow and return, I think its a 4mm allen key.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering whether it's been correctly converted from having a cylinder to your present system...someone might have messed up the pipework and therefore the circulation

I would suggest you look into balancing the rads, also possibly auto bypass stuck open within boiler

auto bypass? i'll have a look at that, is that an option in the menu system somwhere or is it a valve inside boiler?

Spent days trying to balance, just not travelling upstairs fast enough or not travelling where it needs to...

dont suppose there's an airlock...?? but how could they be if its pressurised?

Its a screw on the left side of diverter. Turn clockwise and count how many turns. Check rads and if working then turn anti-clockwise back to same position or adjust to system pressure if TRV,s fitted throughout..

Isn't that fitted inside the sealed boiler casing? ;)

Ill check the bypass screw... not sure what position or turns its meant to be at? is there a specific number of turns from start?

Sorry,

as Muggles pointed out you would need to open her up to adjust.
Need a Gas Safe engineer but should be on the right track.

Size of boiler?, length of pipe run?, how many stories? where is boiler situated? :?: Advice please..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back