New Central Heating installed - Very Loud Pulsing Noises !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had electric storage heaters removed from the house we bought and had central heating installed - combination boiler - combi 30 HE. We have had problems with the flue - installed in loft and have found on a number of occasions that it had come apart - contacted installer and he just put duck tape around it. We told him about the very load noises, kinda of pulsating bangs and unless you turned the thermostat completely down it would continue to get louder and louder. We was just told that we need to bleed the rads, which we have done and since then have to do them very regularly, especially one of them. We have also noticed that one of the pipes in bathroom towel rail is leaking which I guess is why we have to keep bleeding the rads. We asked for the manufacture to check out boiler and he said that the flue should have some holding brackets on it and should not need duck tape at all. Also the pipe sticking out of roof is not straight ! He said that the pressure on boiler was very low and brought it back to the correct pressure, but we are still getting the very loud pulsating banging, We have contacted corgi as the boiler manufacturer suggested but just wanted to get some more advise please, desperate now as the noise is waking me up through the night and also the baby !!

Sponsored Links
We have had problems with the flue - installed in loft and have found on a number of occasions that it had come apart - contacted installer and he just put duck tape around it.

hope his horse didn't make a mess of your garden :eek:

We told him about the very load noises, kinda of pulsating bangs and unless you turned the thermostat completely down it would continue to get louder and louder. We was just told that we need to bleed the rads,

could be trv's chattering
We have also noticed that one of the pipes in bathroom towel rail is leaking

get the installer back it's his prob

If he really was CORGI registered then you could complain to CORGI and they will serve a defects notice on him.

However, whatever you may think, its seems inconceivable to me that he can be registered as no RGI would ever use duck tape to hold a flue together.

I would guess that you paid him with cash and only have a first name and mobile number. Thats how the unregistered operate!

For your own safety I suggest you get a CORGI inspector to assess the safety aspects ( thats free ) and then you should get a proper registered installer to correct the problems, that might cost about £300 !

Its very sad to hear of these problems but the plain fact is that many people are lured into engaging the non registered because they think they are saving money. The actuallity is that the job is done badly and costs much more to be corrected.

Tony

I do have a corgi number and I checked it on corgi website before getting them to do the work, but not sure if all the people involved were corgi registered and if it was checked by the person with the corgi reg.

Sponsored Links
have made a complaint to corgi to get someone to check it out as really worried that it is not safe. The guy from the manufacturers of the boiler said that he would be very concerned if it was a old boiler, but he still did a report on computer to protect their company

I would write to the Managing Director of the installing company, and ask him to inspect the installation and rectify all of the known faults.

Did you receive any paperwork from the installer?

we received paperwork for the boiler and a user manual of the boiler. I think that one of the people that did the instal runs the company !!!!. Going to contact Corgi today to see if they received our complaint and to find out how long it takes for someone to come out. We have had the installer out a couple of times and now we do not want to deal with them and have gone through corgi website. I am also going to get a carbon monoixde detector in the morning as am concerned.

traci_kb said:
I am also going to get a carbon monoixde detector in the morning as am concerned.
Very wise, but you might want to do it sooner. I seem to remember even Tesco is selling them now.

Going to contact Corgi today to see if they received our complaint and to find out how long it takes for someone to come out.

you will get a letter with a questionare first

jeez don't expect the dog to be too fast off the mark

only thing in your favour is the installer was reg

therefore you have some form of redress

One little aspect that many overlook is that before engaging a CORGI you should check the registration number seems correct AND that you can contact them on the telephone number on the CORGi web site and local telephone listing.

I regularly encounter illegal installers who "borrow" a legitimate CORGI number and sometimes use the registrant's name. I once had two different people calling me about an installation both giving the same name. I later spoke to the genuine installer who said it was his cousin and his son and he had reported them to CORGi but little was being done.

Sometimes an employee will use his employers CORGi number for "private" work. Thats illegal and they are not registered when doing jobs on the side and the customer has no protection.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back