New central heating system in small 1 bed house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im looking to get a central heating system installed in my house. Its only going to need 3 radiators, and the pipe work will be minimal as the house is fairly small. I just wondered what sort of boiler I would need to heat just 3 rads and hot water for the house.

I also wanted to know if I had to get a specific boiler if I wanted to have it installed upstairs in my airing cupboard and have the flume go up into the loft and out that way.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
My recomendation would be the Vaillant ecotecplus 824/831 or the glow worm ultracom 24/30 cxi. These can be fitted in the airing cupboard or loft and are very compact and economical. :LOL:

There are smaller options, if you'd prefer to get the space the HW cylinder and boiler take up.
You could have a combi, maybe in the loft, or if you don't have a bath installed, you could use an instantaneous electric water heater and an electric boiler.

Ah right, thanks for that. Well we have a bath, and really just want a decent (but not too expensive) boiler that will heat the small amount of rads we require. I saw a few sites on the internet that do pacakges (with the two boilers you mentioned above), just wonder if its more cost effective to get the boiler and then get the radiators, pipe etc where i see it at the best price.

Sponsored Links
DO you want a combi or do you want to keep your HW cylinder?

Im not really sure to be honest, which is why I came here. At the moment in the airing cupboard, I've got an old economy 7 water heating system, with a hw tank. We've decided to get central heating install for when we put the house on the market, so which ever is more effecient/ecomomic for our small house

I would go for a combi. In your case spare space is at a premium, so every little bit helps, as they say.

Sounds good to me, are there specific models (like the ones above) that I would have to look at for going in the airing cupboard and the flue going up into the loft? or can any modern one do that?

I was looking at the Betacom 24c, as its meant for the smaller home, and its recommended use is for a small 1 bed house. I noticed on the site (http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/betacom.asp) it says that it has a max vertical flue of up to 6.8m, which would mean its fine for what i wanted? Or at least thats how i understand it lol.

Sounds good to me, are there specific models (like the ones above) that I would have to look at for going in the airing cupboard and the flue going up into the loft? or can any modern one do that?

I was looking at the Betacom 24c, as its meant for the smaller home, and its recommended use is for a small 1 bed house. I noticed on the site (http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/betacom.asp) it says that it has a max vertical flue of up to 6.8m, which would mean its fine for what i wanted? Or at least thats how i understand it lol.

the betacom c is suitable for your needs but the glow worm ultracom 24cxi is far superior and well worth the extra. ;)

the betacom c is suitable for your needs but the glow worm ultracom 24cxi is far superior and well worth the extra. ;)

And the ultracom is A rated which helps with the nasty HIPS pack when selling ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back