New central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. We live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. I am looking into central heating systems, I have the old set up water tank in loft, immersion heater with tank in cupboard in bathroom. This system is about 26 years old and is working fine, but I have been told a combi system would not only get rid of the tank in the loft give us back the cupboard space in the bathroom and be more economical. With energy prices always on the rise I would be interested in any comments please.

Sponsored Links
The cosiderations are not about your heating requirements if you want a combi, it is all about your HW requirements and the flow rate of your in coming cold water supply

Combis are great:
If you need more space.
  1. Give good hot water / powerful showers if you have a good mains pressure.
  2. Heating is not a problem.
  3. No tanks in loft means less chance of frozen pipes and water damage from header & CWST

Down side is :
  1. No back up hot water
  2. Possible long dead runs
  3. Less economical than other systems.
  4. More to go wrong.
  5. Lose pressure when using more than one tap/appliance

Hi Ian thank you, our pressure is fine, I am looking more at the running costs

Sponsored Links
Hi Bodd, seems the system I fitted 26 years ago is more economical than the combi. Thank you.

Hi Bodd, seems the system I fitted 26 years ago is more economical than the combi. Thank you.

“Economical” has different aspects. A new boiler would use less gas, but there is the consideration of capital cost and”payback”, the likely next replacement date and, of course, the cost to the environment

Cost is very important at 82 with a 65 year old wife who has just been robbed by our non caring government of her only income of £70 a week Ault Dependency payment so she no income but we still have to pay the bills in full.

Hi Bodd, well it's all going to stay as it is until it gives up the ghost as we all will eventually.

Hi Bodd, well it's all going to stay as it is until it gives up the ghost as we all will eventually.
Reg no modern boiler will give you the same length of service just keep your existing one going until it gives up, the running cost savings on condensing boilers is so differential so many claims about savings, to actually get the proper savings on condensing boilers you have to start from scratch, change radiators and pipe sising, if it is working leave it alone , there is a new scheme coming out soon that if you qualify , you can get a new boiler free, so have a look at that, be carefull though, usually very poor installs, you might regret getting your old reliable boiler swapped even if it was free

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back