New Central Heating / Water System Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We've just moved to a new house and the boiler is 35 years old! This will need replacing soon and I am considering my options. It's a 4 bedroom house with a vented system, airing cupboard with hot water cylinder and water storage tank in the roof.

Initially, I'd thought we could rip the whole lot out and fit a combi condensing boiler and wire up new rads. A simple efficient system. But the downside is that we'd lose the hot water tank in the airing cupboard and I think due to the size of the house I'd prefer to keep it.

My other option is to go for an unvented system boiler. I quite like the look of the 30kw version of Glow Worm Ultracom2 sxi.

I think I'd probably want to replace the hot water cylinder at the same time.

Question 1 : Will any new hot water cylinder be ok, or do I need to get a specific type? I.e. one specifically for unvented systems. Do they all come with immersion heaters built in as a backup if the boiler were to fail?

Having had a look around there appears to be some labelled "Easi-Fit" / "Pre-plumbed" - Do all need to be plumbed in this way and this just saves installation time?

Question 2: If the new boiler has the pump integrated in it, is all the kit that comes on a pre-plumbed cylinder necessary? It looks like some of the unvented versions have pumps on the outside? Do I need that?

It looks like you pay a premium for the pre-plumbed cylinders and I don't want to go down this route if I don't need to. The Heatrae Megaflo systems do look quite impressive though.

Question 3: Would getting one of these save installation time or is it unnecessary?

Are there any other options?

We'd like mains pressure hot/cold water to all taps. I'd like to run a thermostatic mixing shower in the bathroom (I'd prefer not to have a power shower pump) and obviously run the central heating.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Blondebier

Sponsored Links
Answer 1 Yes you need an unvented cylinder. All come with a tapping for an imersion heater and most come with one. Preplumbed ones are useualy more expensive but sometimes work out cheaper than buying everything you need seperate (pump, by pass zone valve etc) also they are good for saving space. Also your installer may charge less to install as it will take less time

Answer 2 A SYSTEM boiler has a expansion vessel and pump, If you buy a pre-plumbed cylinder just buy a REGULAR heat only boiler as the pump will be included with the cylinder

Suggestion = Range tribune pre-plumbed (fit loads of these and love them) and a Worcester Bosch regular boiler Green-star (size will depend on your cylinder size and radiater needs)

Thanks NewGasInstaller.

The only thing that attracted me to the glow worm kit was that it received "Best buy" from Which.

I'll have a look at that boiler and cylinder that you recommended.

Cheers,

Blondebier

Sponsored Links
You need to have the incoming mains water pressure and flow checked before you can make any decisions, depending on what you have will determine what system you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back