heating and hot water circuit layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a whole new heating system and hot water system including new indirect boiler, pipes, radiators and pressurised unvented cylinder (i know this needs testing)

Should the water exiting the boiler go to the hot water cylinder prior to being pumped around the radiators or should it do the radiators first. Alternatively can it go via some radiators to the tank and then via others back to the boiler?

thanks

Sponsored Links
the odd bit of plumbing but never a whole system. Got to start somewhere. Managed to build the whole house so far from digging the foundations, to bricking the walls, building a roof, installing the windows etc etc etc and i,ve never done that before either. Taken me 18 months so far but hey, i work full time too. So i appreciate any constructive comments
thanks

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
yer just got some fella quote]

Where?

Basically i am starting to plan the system and was wondering should the outlet from the boiler got directly to the hot water cylinder before circulating the radiators or the other way round.

Namsag's response, whilst not particularly constructive, does sum up the likely outcome if you attempt to fit a full pressurised heating system without any knowledge whatsoever.

I'll assume that you won't be attempting to fit a gas boiler yourself.

If you are considering DIY then you would benefit from getting a book on basic heating system design. Armed with this and basic plumbing skills you should be able to undertake the donkey work of laying pipework and fitting rads etc. In terms of the heatsource, however, can I suggest that you take a look at vented heat store options like the DPS Pandora as they offer all the performance with less likelyhood of anything worse than a flooded house if you get it wrong ;)

Seriously, a pressurised system is not something a beginner should be thinking about tackling and I don't know many installers who would be happy to come and commission an unvented system they haven't installed ... I wouldn't and my standards are lower than a snakes belly in a wagon wheel rut! ;)

The gas boiler should have the relevant parts fitted by a CORGI and after commissioning he should notify the installation to CORGI. Thats a legal requirement.

As far as I can see there is no requirement in law for an unvented to only be commissioned by the installer.

I am therefore prepared to commission and notify an unvented which has been installed by a DIYer. I am fussy and it has to be corrected if anything does not fully comply!

Tony

Agile said:
The gas boiler should have the relevant parts fitted by a CORGI and after commissioning he should notify the installation to CORGI. Thats a legal requirement.

Tony

It is not the Law Tony but a condition of registration by the Kennel Club, as a way to extract yet more blood money from the RGI.

You are perfectly able to self certify direct at no cost to the building department.

GSUR 1999 that all gas appliances must be installed by a member of a class of persons approved by Water Systems?

Or did I get that muddled up at the end?

Later Edit ......

On reading again I see what you meant, just the notification part!

Trouble is that CORGi have made it a condition of continuing registration that all CORGIs notify ( through CORGI !!! )

If its not notified ( through CORGI ! ) then the RGI can have his registration suspended so in a roundabout way it becomes a legal requirement to notify CORGI ! I agree that its not enshrined in the law to notify CORGI though.

Did I hear that someone has now had his registration withdrawn for not notifying?

Tony

doitall said:
Agile said:

Tony

It is not the Law Tony but a condition of registration by the Kennel Club, as a way to extract yet more blood money from the RGI.

You are perfectly able to self certify direct at no cost to the building department.

The OP is building his own house. The BCO can sign off anything. Unvented and Corgi are overridden.

Agile said:
Did I hear that someone has now had his registration withdrawn for not notifying?

Tony

Would be interested in more details if true.

Quite true WS but we mustn't overlook the main issue here that the OP doesn't have a grasp of the basics and, without serious guidance, the only thing the BCO will do is laugh his c*** off ;)

esra_ptrap said:
Quite true WS but we mustn't overlook the main issue here that the OP doesn't have a grasp of the basics and, without serious guidance, the only thing the BCO will do is laugh his c*** off ;)

He needs one box solutions of thermal stores. Fit the box and connect up. 90% of the thinking is done for him all inside the box.

If the BCO has been with him all his build and sees he does his homework (which he is doing) on all aspects of the build and takes his time and gets it right, he will sign off.

BCOs are more interested in structural weaknesses than unvented cylinders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back