new circuit for the attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice ..I need to install new wiring in the attic / loft I found a cable that used to supply power to the immersion water heater tank located in the upstairs bathroom I was wondering if I could use this cable and create a new radial line for the attic's ligthing and power sockets The idea is to fix a 30 amp junction box in this cable and once the ligths and sockets are installed returning the cable to the original junction box therefore creating a new radial circuit .

Sponsored Links
That would not be good practice, because you'd lose lighting when the circuit is tripped by, for example, a faulty appliance.

For the lighting circuit you'd be better off extending the upstairs lighting circuit into the attic.

Yes, you have the right idea.
Dont mess with your existing lighting.
Your old immersion should be fed by a 16amp breaker from c.unit, take the cable from this in immersion cupboard and put it onto a garage type c.unit, not expensive, then run your power sockets from the 16amp and take your lighting from the 6amp. You will probably get a unit with the rcd as well so happy days..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back