Two spurs from one junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Is is safe to connect two spurs to one junction box ?

I have installed elec underfloor heating and an elec towel rail in a small bathroom and both cables run into the attic space. Rather than tap into the supply with two junction boxes close together, can I just fit one junction box in the attic and feed both new cables into it ?

Regards
Pavs

Sponsored Links
I would have thought so as long as you fit an FCU with the appropriate fuse for your cable before the junction box.

Incidentally whats the power required for both these items - you might find that they put a bit of a draw on your RFC (assuming thats the circuit you're connecting to) if you have alot of other things switched on at the same time.

I'm sure someone else will be able to provide you with a more definitive answer :)

Thanks bongos

the towel rail already has an FCU , however I cant find out the power requirements of this, its just a small heating element that fits inside the towel rail, to be able to use it when the central heating is off.

As for the underfloor heating, the technical specs state the following :

Voltage 180-250 v 50/60 hz
Resistive load 250v - 16a
Inductive load 1A (power factor 0.3)
Power consumption <500mW

all of the above mean nothing to me, this doesnt have an FCU fitted, is it necessary and if so what size fuse would I need ?

Thanks again for any help

regards
Pavs

Voltage 180-250 v 50/60 hz
Resistive load 250v - 16a
Inductive load 1A (power factor 0.3)
Power consumption <500mW

all of the above mean nothing to me,
If this is the case, spend a bit of money and get it done professionally, especially as this appears to be the spec for the heating controller, and not the element.

Sponsored Links
Back to basics. Has the circuit you are planning to use for the floor heating got an RCD? If not then it needs one.
You could provide a fused RCD spur to run both of those.
How big is the heating mat?

Also, dont forget that the work u are doing is notifiable. ;)

thanks for the replies,

yes, I think I will get someone in for this, thought I could do it myself, but best not to

thanks again

regards
Pavs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back