New clutch/slave cylinder problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My 2013 Puegeot 3008 (100k miles) had a new clutch and fly wheel put in in October at a cost of £1200 after it suddenly gave out on the motorway. Yesterday I was about an hour and a half from home the clutch went and smoke coming out the bonnet. The same garage chain sent by Green Flag who did the first repair came out to tow it, and have told me this is an issue with the slave cylinder which is leaking fluid (I could see this dripping on the ground below). They say this is a separate issue and not related to them having replaced the clutch as they did not do anything to the slave cylinder and it is just coincidence. They haven't given me a quote yet but he thought about £300.

My question is whether this sounds correct and whether this cant have anything to do with their work back in October. A friend has told me that slave cylinders get removed when a clutch is replaced and that if not inserted back in properly they can leak. So my question is: who is right?

I know very little about cars so would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My 2013 Puegeot 3008 (100k miles) had a new clutch and fly wheel put in in October at a cost of £1200 after it suddenly gave out on the motorway. Yesterday I was about an hour and a half from home the clutch went and smoke coming out the bonnet. The same garage chain sent by Green Flag who did the first repair came out to tow it, and have told me this is an issue with the slave cylinder which is leaking fluid (I could see this dripping on the ground below). They say this is a separate issue and not related to them having replaced the clutch as they did not do anything to the slave cylinder and it is just coincidence. They haven't given me a quote yet but he thought about £300.

My question is whether this sounds correct and whether this cant have anything to do with their work back in October. A friend has told me that slave cylinders get removed when a clutch is replaced and that if not inserted back in properly they can leak. So my question is: who is right?

I know very little about cars so would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Fairly sure that the slave cylinder on yours is part of the clutch bearing (concentric slave cylinder}. I would have expected this to have been changed as part of the clutch. What does your repair invoice from the clutch work state? What parts, clutch kit?

Difficult to be precise without looking but I wouldn't expect you to be having to pay for anything, unless any misuse is identified by the repairers.

Looks like your slave just bolts to the gearbox no removal of box required.
A new clutch would have stronger springs in the clutch cover (as its new) this may have just been another to make a weak/ tired slave to leak.
I would hope the garage would work out a deal for you in costs ,but its 6 months ago ,but I hope they will as a gesture

I don't think that PSA have (typically) used concentric cylinders - certainly not on the older models.
Imported boxes may be different of course.
I can't see how these can be mounted incorrectly and still work so I guess the leak is a coincidence.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Looks like your slave just bolts to the gearbox no removal of box required.
A new clutch would have stronger springs in the clutch cover (as its new) this may have just been another to make a weak/ tired slave to leak.
I would hope the garage would work out a deal for you in costs ,but its 6 months ago ,but I hope they will as a gesture
If it is an external slave cylinder then I fully agree with this.

To the OP, ask your garage to confirm if it is an external or internal slave cylinder.

Thank you so much for the replies- I really appreciate your advice.

I called them today and they had not even had a chance to have a look yet. Unfortunately I can't find the invoice for the work done in October but they said they will have it on the computer somewhere. It's gone to a different garage (although the same company) as it broke down in a different area of the country so communication is a bit tricky but hoping to get to the bottom of it tomorrow. I feel better armed with a small bit of knowledge/questions to ask from this forum, so thank you. I will let you know what happens.

I spoke to the garage today and they still haven't had a chance to look. They said they cant get an answer from the other branch about whether they changed the slave cylinder or not but he said he'd be very suprised if they haven't?

Anyway he said if they have changed it the work won't be charged but if they take it apart and it's still the old one in there that has failed it will cost around £900 which I wasnt expecting. He said they will be able immediately to tell once they've taken it apart.

So I guess I have to await my fate a while longer...is it even worth having the work done I wonder if it transpires we do have to cough up? We've invested a lot of money into it but feels a bit of a money pit atm.

Looking at your year of car ,I thought the slave was external so no gearbox removal .fingers crossed it is like you said they have not looked at it yet

I have removed the gearbox several times on a couple of Citroen C3s over the years. Each time the slave cylinder had to be replaced as the seals leaked after removel from the clutch lever. This was obvious before re-fitting as fluid was dripping out the end. I could have ignored it & got some life out of them but as it was my car I did it properly. I don't trust garages & do all the work I can myself. I could see a garage bodging it rather than replacing the part. Would this happen to be a Halfords by any chance?

Well the branch called me and have finally found out from the original branch who did the work that the slave cylinder WAS replaced when it went in for the new clutch, so I am no longer liable for the £900 bill. Either it was bodged or a faulty part. Frankly I'm amazed they've admitted it as I'd lost the invoice and couldn't really remember what they said back in October, but maybe im being cynical! Thanks for all the replies.

Sponsored Links
Back