New Cob 10 watt PIR flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a 10watt Cob brand security LED with pir from Screwfix and on powering it up it just constantly flashes around every 1-2 seconds.
Anyone else had issues,no instructions on set up and test in box.
Read on Amazon reviews for another brand with same issue to remove one of the capacitors,is it faulty and needs to go back or will another one do the same,seems to be a quirk with these.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You may well find that you have capacitive coupling between the supply to your light and the the PIR sensor circuit. This coupling feeds enough current to charge up the LED control circuit which then permits the LED to light up. This then discharges the control circuit, LED goes out and the cycle starts again.

I experienced a similar problem when I replaced my two 100w outside lights with LED lamps. The bl**dy things would flash at about 2 second intervals. In the end I had to fit a 15w "load" lamp into the circuit, which whilst preventing the flashing means I now have 2 LEDS and an extra 15W lamp lighting up when the PIR triggers, so I tried fitting a suppressor unit across the LEDs

Fitting a surge suppressor such as this from maplins across the LED lamp contacts might do the trick for you.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rc-contact-suppressor-rg22y

Edit: Should have mentioned it did the job for me

If this is a preassembled light fitting, then it's faulty.

The flashing issue can occur when fitting LED lamps into fittings designed for other types, but something designed for and supplied with a LED should not have that problem.

Sponsored Links
No warm up time with LEDs. I'd take it back to screwfix and get them to swap it. Better to try another one than altering it and voiding your warranty

Taken back and another fitted,must have some warm up period as when switched on it stopped on for quite a while before switching off again.Tested at night and seems ok.

Most security lights have a fixed ON period after powering up. This not a "warm up" but part of a feature that lets you remotely force the light ON at will. You simply switch OFF the power feed and then immediately switch it back ON. This will turn the light on PERMANENTLY. If you want to then turn the light OFF back to normal usage you turn the power OFF and leave it OFF for a couple of minutes. When you then put the power back ON the light will light and stay ON for a couple of minutes or so and then go out and revert to normal operation.

Afaik, It is the PIR part of the fitting that DOES have an inialisation period, when you first power it up, this is to do with the detecter beam adjusting, to the surroundings, they therefore suggest you keep out the beams path for that initial period.
Assuming you did this, then after a few minutes it should work normal

Yep thanks both,stood around the corner of the house out of sight,still stopped on also tried the switch flick off then back on after 20 seconds still stopped on for around 5 mins then heard the PIR click off.Went around garden in the dark and all seems ok.Thanks again to all who take the time to reply and help.Cheers fellas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back