New Combi advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of getting a new combi boiler and the 2 I got recommended from the plumber were the Worcester Bosch 28cdi Compact (I asked for a Worcester recommendation) and his personal recommendation, the Baxi Platinum 28erp. I live in an average size 3 bedroom new build (2009) and have one shower/bath that runs off the boiler and 9 radiators. The house is me and my wife and a baby come October.

I’ve always thought I’d get a Worcester but after looking at the Baxi user reviews I’m kinda split now. There’s not much between them, both are 24kW for CH and 28kW for DHW but I’ve struggled to find an answer to what exactly that means. Does a higher kW mean a higher flow of water/more radiators?

Any advice on which one to go for is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Of the two I'd get the Platinum, and some ear defenders if it's going anywhere other than the loft - it's a superior boiler to the Worcester (most things are, to be fair) but it's not quiet. Best option would be an Intergas ECO RF though IMHO ;) higher kW boilers can produce more hot water, but the trade-off is that they can be less efficient on the heating side. Intergas combat this nicely by being compatible with the latest high-efficiency OpenTherm controls, which neither of the others you've mentioned can handle. The minimum output is more relevant on a small system such as yours. Baxi's is 8.7, Intergas's is 7.1 out of the box but can be wound down to around 5 in the installer settings. This results in less cycling, increased efficiency, and less wear and tear on the boiler

Baxi Platinum for me 10 year warranty and cheap parts when it starts to breakdown, the Worcester CDI Compact is an overated and overpriced boiler IMHO. The case doesn't sit straight and bows, and clips in with some plastic lugs which break after after their 2nd year. The only decent boiler Worcester manf is the CDI Classic, look at the 29cdi Classic as an option.

Sponsored Links
Of the two.Definetly a baxi as said..I find everything about WB combi's a nightmare,certainly from a repair and service point of view.

Exactly why I said"of the two"!
Standby for a lecture on efficiency and laws of thermodynamics.
Followed by "platinum technology is ancient history..intergas is godlike,return delta T temperature..ad nauseum
Beat you to it on that :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back