New Combi Boiler - Powerflush vs Chemical Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a new Combi-Boiler installed, but the installer (which I must use as its under a government scheme) has said they will only Chemical Flush the system, not Power Flush before installation.

Would this be sufficient? And would this cause warranty problems - I was looking to get a boiler with as big a warranty as possible (7 or 10 years).

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
You may find the scheme chooses the boiler make.

A chemical only flush done properly is usually adequate. But in bad cases it could need to be repeated two or three times which is why a power flush is used as that's quicker and more effective when the system is very dirty.

If you are not paying then you are likely to have to put up with what you are given and because the installers are not paid much then don't expect much either. I would expect most seriously cut corners.

On sales sites like Ebay you will see cleaning chemicals being sold in batches of 10 or 20 all with the sticker missing. Where do you think they come from?

Tony

You are correct in that I'm not paying, but currently have a very reliable but old floor standing boiler which I want replaced as I hate the idea of having to boil the hot water cylinder (which isn't sufficient as my wife takes very long showers), and the chimney which is only used to vent the boiler is leaking and if I got a new boiler I could completely remove the chimney at similar cost to just repair the current problem.

As you've said they will cut corners, are you suggesting you don't advise to go under this scheme and pay someone out of my own pocket would be a better idea? Or could I just get someone in after to correct any shoddy work.

Sinthey provide a boiler obviously there is a huge saving there.

But expect it to be fitted carelessly and don't expect much cleaning to be done.

Also expect to have to pay out to get items corrected.

Sometimes you can get the worst aspects done if you complain enough.

Important to ensure you watch the cleaner and inhibitor being added. Keep the empty bottles!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Alot of conjecture and nonsense from Tony,the boiler will be cleaned to British standard as the warranty is down to the installation company which are vetted extensively ie their workmanship is checked by the scheme providers.

Just because it is from Grant scheme does not automatically mean it will be shoddy install,this is a load of codswallop

The jobs on grant schemes are vetted and checked to comply with Gas and building Regulations

Just because the Installers can put in Boilers alot quicker then the like of Agile it must be shoddy job ,this is not the case as they do this type of work day in day out and are equipped to carry this out

Not sat on some Diy website all day slating others ,but actually earning a crust

Good luck relax and let the lads do the job offer them a cup of tea and smile this goes a long way

The tea advice is good.

My experience with grant funded boiler installs is that they are normally done in a terrible hurry by a disinterested subbie.

Saw one done in 2010 the other day, flue ran 2.5m through the loft via two elbows, not a single bracket. Potentially lethal.

But I expect the contractor had a method statement and a Health and Safety policy, and was an Equal Opportunities Employer working in partnership with blah blah snore.

Wake me up when this silly country is over.

I'm going to get a new Combi-Boiler installed, but the installer (which I must use as its under a government scheme) has said they will only Chemical Flush the system, not Power Flush before installation.

Would this be sufficient? And would this cause warranty problems - I was looking to get a boiler with as big a warranty as possible (7 or 10 years).

Thanks for advice.

Hi Alltec,
I would suggest that you get a couple of quotes from reputable heating / plumbing companies, privately yourself to compare. You might be surprised at the little difference in price. Ask friends, neighbors to recommend someone that they know, trust and have used, preferably.
On the question of power flush versus chemical flush, there is no competition - Power flush is quicker, and much more effective. Chemical flush means solution has to be left in for 2-3 days and run system very hot all the time. even then any depositis loosened can only drain away with the small flow out of the system drain cock, which means a lot of the contaminates are left in the pipe-work, whereas, with a Power flush, all the dislodged contaminates are pumped out at a higher velocity. However, both types of cleaning are only as good as the person doing them. It's pointless having and paying more for a power flush, if the engineer does it too quickly to suite his time and price and doesn't make certain that all radiators are thoroughly cleaned of the contaminatesthat adhere to the internal surfaces.
From my experience of these installations under government schemes, they are installed as quickly as possible, by private firms who will screw a subby down as much possible on time, materials and processes. At best they will work, but usually,problems will begin to arise after about 4- 6 weeks and you end up paying the extra in price that way

Much better to power flush heating! The objective is to restore systems with circulation and boiler noise problems, caused by sludge and corrosion deposits, to optimum operation. Power flushing removes these deposits and the problems that they cause. Power flushing, in conjunction with SYSTEM PRE-CLEAN, is also an excellent way to pre-commission clean new heating systems, to remove excess flux, swarf and other debris, and the grease and oil used to prevent rusting of components before use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back