New Composite Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May be a silly question but here goes :

Just got composite door fitted...great job.

We got a local glasier to do the job.....he ordered the door from another manufacturer who had already added the handles etc......so his job was just to install the casing.

There is just one problem....the letterbox.....it is sitting perfect on the inside but on the outside it is lop sided....we have 3 wee windows above it and with a spirit level they are all fine...but not the letterbox...it's a fair wee bit off.

Is this an easy fix for the installer?

Or is this a manufacturer fix ? Who has the responsibility to fix it ?

I know it sounds trivial...but it was a £2k door.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could well be that the letterbox is held on with a double sided tape , as well as the screws. Any installer worth his salt should come back and adjust . not the installers issue technically but your contract is with the installer not the manufacturer. The installer may choose to call out the manufacturer but to be honest its not worth the effort for 2/4 screws and a thin scraper to prise the letterplate carefully from the sash

Sponsored Links
Could well be that the letterbox is held on with a double sided tape , as well as the screws. Any installer worth his salt should come back and adjust . not the installers issue technically but your contract is with the installer not the manufacturer. The installer may choose to call out the manufacturer but to be honest its not worth the effort for 2/4 screws and a thin scraper to prise the letterplate carefully from the sash

Yep unscrewed inner side but could not budge outer side...so i will leave it with installer....he has still to come back for his money.
Thanks for reply.

Edit.....we haven't used the door very much....but just there i tried it and it isn't closing well....it seems to have slipped a wee bit and is catching at the top.
I know it's not a major issue....but after the letterbox it's disappointing.

Last edited:
Okay.....installer is calling tomorrow...told him about adjustments needed and I would only give him the money when the door was fixed.

Is that fair ?

Update :

And didn't bother his arse calling or replying to my texts....he has done this before...but i gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I will use his tactic....that's a free door for me.

Last edited:
After saying he would come at noon....and no show.....he turned up at our house at 7:30 this evening asking for the cheque.

Denied all knowledge of knowing about the the letterbox and dropped door even though he had texted me that he would look at them.

I can be a bit forward so my wife said she would talk to him.....but after a few minutes of him saying letterbox was straight,then it was only a wee bit out he tried to fix it.....in the dark.

He did adjust the door ok.

He still wanted his money...so i told him that we would check it out in daylight and if it was ok he would get his money tomorrow.

Sadly he is away for a week so he will have to wait......his communication skills are appalling.

He arrives today at 3pm

If he is unable to fix to our satisfaction should i say door is a 2nd and ask for money off it ?

Okay....been and gone....and he brought a friend with him this time who was an absolute gentleman.

His first words were "it doesn't matter how much the door is out...if it's not pleasing to the eye then it's not pleasing to the eye"

Installer could take a leaf out of his book.

All sorted...door hinges adjusted easy enough...but letter box had to be removed....it had been siliconed on the outside so they had to remove that,adjust and re silicone....it was 5mm out originally !!

How the installer didn't notice that leads me to believe he's a wee bit of a chancer.

Installer paid....and we won't be using him again...but of course he took a photo of the door for his website....lucky he didn't take it last week !!!

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back