Composite door "shudder"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had these installed as part of my building work.. They seems solid enough, but they flex enough for the front door to shudder and shake when closed.

Is there anything that can be done? would increasing the number of frame fixings help. The installer is saying they have tightened the fixings, but we can't see an improvement.

Is this something that is just part of having composite doors?

28712979184_151848e5fe_c.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

may be a problem of fixings or a problem of the profiles used (depht, material etc)

Which material ? Aluminium, u-Pvc, wood ...

I dunno to be honest, I think its probably aluminum and upvc. - its frame fixed in to brick. but there are only two fixings, top, bottom, left and right (so 8 total). The whole thing came as one package and was assembled on site.

Looks like Pvc frames to me. My guess is its where the frames are joining one another that its ' shuddering ' as the whole frame flexes. I would be intrigued to see if they have used a reinforcement between the frames and what type

Sponsored Links
Hi,

probably you have to ask to the installator to increase the number of fixings to the wall and between the profiles. See in the attached pictures the red dots for example .

Attachments

• 20160830_1_Immagine.png
    20160830_1_Immagine.png
    549 KB · Views: 481
thanks - that was my suspicion, I assume the glass is removable if you know what you are doing?

Having watched police raid videos on telly, it seems that they hate upvc doors if battering their way in?

This is because their battering rams bounce off the doors- which just give, but don't cave in
Depends on the amount of deflection that you are getting

remove the glass from yourself is not so simple. You need to understand how the glazing bead profile works and how to remove it without damage.

Looks like a Solidor to me, Good make.

Unfortunately a bit of flex is pretty much unavoidable when you have sidelights combine that with a full width toplight too and it makes things worse.
Looks like you have aluminum door couplers on both sides and the top so not much that can be done without a complete redesign.

If it works and that is the design/look you ordered then there is not much that can be done.
I have seen super heavy duty couplers that stick out from the frame by a few inchs but they are pretty hideous

Thanks - the top light was actually a mistake by the builder - as he "forgot" that he was extending the porch roof, so it should have been a solid wall/lintel. We've since had the roof extended, but the top light still lets a fair amount of light through. So at the end of the day we are happy with the top light.

hi,

you can fix the frames to the wall with aluminium L-brackets and then cover with an aesthetic profile.

so just screw in to the plastic on the side profiles? Is this an alternative to taking the glass out?

No amount of extra fixings will make a difference (assuming he has done the recommended 600mm fixing spacing when joining the frames).
This is due to the flex in the 3 separate frames and the aluminum couplers.

If the frame isn't moving where it's fixed to the wall then it doesn't need more fixings, if the hinge or lock side is wobbling when shutting the door then unfortunately it's the nature of the beast especially heavy doors that are hung off or close onto side panels, the only way to counter that is to fit heavy duty reinforced frame couplers

thanks guys - looks like this goes in the can't be ar*ed to fix it box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back