New computer

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I was looking at this one, PC world but might go for something more ambitious following comments on here.
This machine seems to have a respectable specification.
The processor is fast enough.
The 512GB SSD is NVMe, which means it should boot up really quickly.
The ram may be 8GB, but it is only taking up one memory slot, meaning there is a free slot to stick another 8GB stick in.
You would want to get one that matched the original specs, but an 8GB DDR4-3200 stick, would only cost around £15-20 for a DIY install...

It has a PCIe x16 slot for a graphics card, if you were to start gaming (although you would probably need to upgrade the 310W PSU)! :)

You could easily add extra storage through the 2nd NVMe slot, but this is currently used by a WiFi/Bluetooth card.
EDIT: actually, no. The motherboard doesn't conform to a standard form factor - the second NVMe slot isn't suitable for extra storage, but there appear to be a couple of free SATA slots for legacy storage...

It's nice that it has a DVD writer, if you still use CD/DVDs - this seems to be a peripheral thats becoming rarer.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I suppose you mean RAM? I've got plenty of disc space left.
Yes.

I've had quick google for computer shops in S-O-T and come up with lots of shops/dealers. Pick one or 2 near to you and have a chat on the phone or similar if you want to repair or upgrade. Like others I don't have much faith in PC World. I don't have access to a machine to take pictures of adding memory 'sticks' however this link is pretty generic. Just search 'Desktop Memory'

may be worth your while getting a copy of a regular computer magazine for interesting reading.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go anywhere near Currys, terrible service.
Hear hear. A few years ago, we intended to buy a new laptop for the wife's mother. It was advertised as brand new so asked to reserve it. When we turned up and they brough the goods out, it was immediately obvious that it was used - marks, scratches and scuffs, then tried to convince us that they had a new version but couldn't find it right now! They came up with silly excuses and offered a small discount, not a lot. Naturally, we immediately walked away

It is quite easy and inexpensive to increase the memory.

I'd usually start by installing a second strip equal to your existing one, but if you can't, you could go straight to a larger one. Certainly at least double what you now have. I'd go to 16. It's many years since I had as little as 4GB

Have a look at it, even if you have the documentation telling you the specification.

The first time you do it you will have less confidence than for future changes. Desktops are pretty easy to upgrade.

It is quite easy and inexpensive to increase the memory.

I'd usually start by installing a second strip equal to your existing one, but if you can't, you could go straight to a larger one. Certainly at least double what you now have. I'd go to 16. It's many years since I had as little as 4GB

Have a look at it, even if you have the documentation telling you the specification.

The first time you do it you will have less confidence than for future changes. Desktops are pretty easy to upgrade.
It looks like 4GB RAM is small by current standards, but would that cause the drop-off of performance recently, when it had been fine till then? If I add an extra RAM to this computer, I suppose it has to be the correct one, is it a case of adding an identical one?
I'm going to open it up now and have a look.

It looks like 4GB RAM is small by current standards, but would that cause the drop-off of performance recently, when it had been fine till then? If I add an extra RAM to this computer, I suppose it has to be the correct one, is it a case of adding an identical one?
I'm going to open it up now and have a look.

4Gb is quite pathetic, but check what empty sockets you have, and how much the board will support and the type.

Win11 laptop I'm using atm, which has a 8Gb single stick- SK Hynix 8GB 1X8GB HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T SODIM Laptop Memory, plus a second empty socket.

It's not particularly slow, but extra memory doesn't hurt, and it cheap at the moment, so - Yesterday, I ordered a second, matching 8Gb, at a cost of £12.

It looks like 4GB RAM is small by current standards,
Yes, if you are looking to get your old machine up to speed, expanding from 4GB of ram would be a good idea.

However, the biggest increase in performance you can gain hasn't been mentioned yet - you have a 1TB HDD.
Upgrade this to an SSD and your computer will respond far faster.
Although depending on your experience, it can be an involved process to clone your existing disc to a new SSD.

However, the biggest increase in performance you can gain hasn't been mentioned yet - you have a 1TB HDD.
Although depending on your experience, it can be an involved process to clone your existing disc to a new SSD.

I agree, it can make an older PC, absolutely fly. If you can find a copy - Macrium Reflect Free, is one of the easier tools to use, to clone from a HDD to SSD. Just a matter of plugging the SSD in, using a SSD to USB adaptor, cloning the HDD, then swap the SSD in place of the HDD. PC then fires up just as normal, but at lightning speed, via the SSD.

Generally, and SSD speeds up booting, and loading of applications once booted. Having enough memory installed, helps your software run quicker, more smoothly, once it is loaded, but both still limited, by the CPU's capability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Gents
4Gb is quite pathetic, but check what empty sockets you have, and how much the board will support and the type.

Win11 laptop I'm using atm, which has a 8Gb single stick- SK Hynix 8GB 1X8GB HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T SODIM Laptop Memory, plus a second empty socket.

It's not particularly slow, but extra memory doesn't hurt, and it cheap at the moment, so - Yesterday, I ordered a second, matching 8Gb, at a cost of £12.
Opened it and took a couple of pics. I assume the RAM is at the bottom of pic 1, and a slot for an additional RAM at the top of pic 2.
The speed is getting worse, really past a joke! I'd be a bit surprised if extra RAM cured it, and solved the ongoing audio output problem, but for £12 I might try it. Where do you get yours from? I assume need to specify the computer to get the right one? That info also useful if I go for a new computer and want to add extra RAM.
What puzzles me is that the 1 TB HDD was fine (or good enough for me) for some years. I can't see me going down the change to SSD route, more likely a new computer.

Just to rub it in, Firefox went down while typing this and took 10-15 minutes to reload.

Attachments

• Comp 1.jpg
    Comp 1.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Comp 2.jpg
    Comp 2.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 33
Opened it and took a couple of pics. I assume the RAM is at the bottom of pic 1, and a slot for an additional RAM at the top of pic 2.
The speed is getting worse, really past a joke! I'd be a bit surprised if extra RAM cured it, and solved the ongoing audio output problem, but for £12 I might try it. Where do you get yours from? I assume need to specify the computer to get the right one? That info also useful if I go for a new computer and want to add extra RAM.

Poor photos, but it looks as if you only have the one memory/ram socket, so all you can do is replace the single 4Gb with an 8Gb stick.

You need to source the correct spec, and type. Take that stick out, get a decent photo of it, and post it on here. Either side of the memory pcb, there are metal clips, push those out, to release the pcb. To replace, offer the pcb into the socket, then press down into the clips, until they latch.

The slot in your second photo, is for an expansion card..

Sponsored Links
Back