New computer

A double browser, around 16 total tabs,
I won't mention the 41 tabs I currently have open on my phone browser!

I've ordered that one, old one is with him now to transfer files. Local firm, seems to know what he's doing! Less £££ than I was expecting to pay.
I'm glad you got it resolved; it's great that a local store can sort out the details, like transferring files across for you.
The machine is a decent spec - it still may be worthwhile upgrading to 16GB RAM at some point, but there's no rush for your usage.
The difference in performance will be hugely noticeable as it is!
It may be worth keeping your old machines DVD drive available.
Even though there is no bay available within the case for the DVD drive, it can still be connected to the internal SATA ports, if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Crazy.
How much ram does your phone have?
Chrome on Android has a 'memory saver' mode - inactive tabs are flushed from RAM - the cache is still there on device storage, ensuring tabs can be restored almost immediately when clicking on them.
Not much ram is actually required!

Chrome on Android has a 'memory saver' mode - inactive tabs are flushed from RAM - the cache is still there on device storage, ensuring tabs can be restored almost immediately when clicking on them.
Not much ram is actually required!
Yes, but how much you got?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but how much you got?

I have literally hundreds of tabs open in my phone's various browsers (Chrome, Vivaldi, Edge, Brave, Opera, Firefox, Samsung Internet). Granted I never have all of the browsers open at the same time.

My phone has 12Gb of RAM (4Gb more than my laptop).

My phone has 12Gb of RAM (4Gb more than my laptop).

My additional 8Gb arrived this morning, to add to the existing 8Gb, to make 16Gb. It hasn't made that much difference, apps are a little snappier, but hibernate, and unhibernate take a little longer, as you would expect..

Task Manager, shows 7.8 in use, but over 8Gb free - so that should avoid a lot of swapping ;) .

That is a lot for a phone.
I bet you never get to use all of it!.

I suspect that you are correct.

It is (now) a 3 year old Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. Other things being equal, I will probably keep it for another year or two.

Phones are odd. Mine retailed for about £1300 when I got it on contract. I often come across people that ask for laptop recommendations, in most cases the upper end of their budget is £600, even though they have a £1300 phone that they will replace in a couple of years.

Phones are odd. Mine retailed for about £1300 when I got it on contract. I often come across people that ask for laptop recommendations, in most cases the upper end of their budget is £600, even though they have a £1300 phone that they will replace in a couple of years.
A mobile phone is probably viewed in the same way as jewelry, which is what expensive watches are.

Last edited:
A mobile phone is probably viewed in the same way as jewelry, which is what expensive phones are.

I get what you are saying. I think it may be more the case that phone contracts take away the pain of having to shell out the money up front.

But, yeah, there is probably a degree of wanting to display your phone in public as a status symbol.

A mobile phone is probably viewed in the same way as jewelry, which is what expensive watches are.

BTW, Vertu, a British subsidiary once owned by Nokia used to sell £20k phones. Rather than just being blinged up with precious jewels on the case, they included a "virtual" concierge service- fly into Paris and want a table at a Michelin star restaurant- press the shortcut key on the phone and someone at Vertu would find the restaurant and book the table for you.

Edit- they are still trading

Got the new one, and set up how I want it. It's brilliant, so thanks everybody for the tips.

But I'm still having trouble with the Logitech webcam.
To recap, on the old W10 computer, lost the speakers, and Settings couldn't see audio inputs or outputs. Did a reboot or something, and then it saw the webcam but still no output (speakers).
On the new one, the speakers work fine, but I can't get the webcam to work, settings can't find it. The webcam is quite old, QuickCam 10.0A, bought in 2006. Logitech online chat couldn't help with the software, but I downloaded it from the old computer, and got the wizard to work, but no joy. In Settings it's not connected, or faulty. In desperation I reconnected the old computer, and doing Skype the webcam worked on that. Couldn't check the mike as no speaker.
So my guess is there's nothing wrong with it, just that W11 can't see it.
Looks like time for a new one, but if anybody has any ideas.....?

The webcam is quite old, QuickCam 10.0A, bought in 2006.
I believe QuickCam 10.0A is the name of the software that came with the camera, rather than the specific cam model.
As it is, from 2006, the cam may be a QuickCam Connect, or similar.
These had a maximum resolution of only 640 x 480 pixels @30 FPS.

It would be well worthwhile investing in a new webcam, if that were the case.

I believe QuickCam 10.0A is the name of the software that came with the camera, rather than the specific cam model.
As it is, from 2006, the cam may be a QuickCam Connect, or similar.
These had a maximum resolution of only 640 x 480 pixels @30 FPS.

It would be well worthwhile investing in a new webcam, if that were the case.
Thanks for that. I've tried downloading various software from Logitech but no joy. I'm not too fussed about resolution, it was OK for Skype and Zoom when it worked, but it looks like a new one needed.

I got fed up, after resurrecting my old WinXP system, of all the modern apps I found - it simply couldn't install. Yesterday, I spent the day, studying more modern PC specs., and components, plus investigating possible options. I ended up splashing out on an ex-office Dell....

Optiplex 7020 SFF, i7, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, loaded with Win11 Pro. £139, due for delivery tomorrow. I already have a decent monitor, kb, mouse, and etc..

My main laptop is an i5, and that certainly flew with the hybrid SSD+HDD, temprorarily replaced with a larger SSD (until the SSD died), so the Optiplex should be more than adequate. My old WinXP system has ex HDD's in, so plan is to pick the better one, and try to work out how to fit that in the Dell, for use to store application data, photos, and etc..

Anyone know how to get Win11 to do this by default, for all app data?

Sponsored Links
Back