New concrete floor drying time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new approx 4" thick concrete floor (3 weeks old) and am getting grief from my good lady wife about the time required for the floor to dry (1" per month!!!) I do not want to do the final fit on the kitchen until I have the final floor level (ply over floorboards and acrylic / water based leveling compound over concrete), is there any way to speed up the process???
I see on the sticky's a liquid DMP, would this be of use to me in this situation or do I just have to get some ear defenders to keep out the noise. :evil:

Many thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
What I know about liquid DPM is that they don't work when the floor is too wet (so check for the tolerances/specifications every brand gives you on this)

WoodYouLike said:
What I know about liquid DPM is that they don't work when the floor is too wet (so check for the tolerances/specifications every brand gives you on this)
Yes this is correct. You should be around o.k after a few weeks but you really should test floor first. Also the dpm treatment is very expensive. Your always best to leave concrete to dry properly tho as using a liquid dpm can cause you more problems if not used correctly.

Thanks for the advice, I want to get it right as I want to have Amtico laid once the floor is dry and do not want troubles later on.

Is the best way to test the floor moisture content to hire a meter from a hire shop?

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
im not sure if you can hire a hygrometer as they need calibrating on regular basis and i wouldn't trust a hire shop to do it correct. If having amtico are you planning on doing the job yourself or not?

I am not going to tackle the Amtico myself I have a flooring fitter who is going to do it for me. He is coming over next week to have a look as I have part old t&g and part new concrete floor.
I have to say it is V frustrating as I want to get on and fit the kitchen (and get a template done for the worktops) but without the final level of the floor cannot do so and the concrete could be weeks more to dry.
I guess these are the joys of extension building!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Mike

if your having someone install for you they will ask you questions about the subfloor age, depth etc and know it need a moister test. If they dont do this get another fitter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back