New Condensing Boiler - Lower Central Heating Temperature

[/quote]
The boiler stat determines the temperature of the boiler regardless or the roomstat setting.[/quote]

So you're saying if the boiler stat is on max and the room stat is on say 18 degrees the boiler will keep going :?:

Sponsored Links
I disagree, it will only go to max if the room stat is also turned to max, if its turned lower than the room stat whats the point of having other controls.
A room stat will cover a temperature range of 15-30°C. A boiler stat will cover a range of 40-80°C. So the boiler temperature is always higher than the room temperature - you can't turn the boiler stat lower than the room stat.

So where should the boiler stat be positioned, as many dont have any way of telling what the temp is on the knob ?

Sponsored Links
The boiler stat determines the temperature of the boiler regardless of the roomstat setting.

So you're saying if the boiler stat is on max and the room stat is on say 18 degrees the boiler will keep going :?:

Don't know where you got that from. This subject has been done to death; if you want to find out about it, you should read the faq.

All i'm saying ben is if you turn boiler stat to max then you have full control of the heating at the room stat. Thats my opinion anyway.

All i'm saying ben is if you turn boiler stat to max then you have full control of the heating at the room stat. Thats my opinion anyway.
But it will up your gasbill by about 10%.
It may be your opinion, but it is not good practice.

I was not expecting this to continue but it has been most enlightening. This topic is obviously a bone of contention amongst many - I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So the boiler stat can be set to max but it will use 10% more gas. Yes, this makes sense. Presumably then, the speed factor must enter the equation. By setting the boiler to max one will achieve the desired room temp faster than if set to medium. The main thermostat will govern the maximum room temperature throughout the house and the TRV's act as micro mangers for each room. In conclusion having three control elements can give you a lot more flexibility but can also create a lot of confusion.

That is why the installer should set it up in such a way that the user only has to adjust the on/off time to suit him, and turn the roomstat up or down a bit.
The problem is that there are too many cowboys that either don't know how it should be done, or don't care.

If you turn the boiler stat to max, the surface temp will be too hot for most people. On a CDI (my prefered boiler to install) I usually set it to 5, which flows about 65 ish which is plenty for most. Just a case of trying it at diffrent settings to see what suits you I think.

Hello have a new worcester greenstar boiler 30 cdi have being wondering also about the boiler temp settings so i contacted worcester technical services they recomended setting boiler to MAX adjust TRV s to suit each room and set room stat to suit say 20c. Thanks Andy

:D

If you set it to max the boiler won’t condense, no condensing means higher gas bills so that was bad advice.

Turned into an interesting topic, I used to have my WB 30CDi System Boiler on 5 but thought it was too high at 65c so have turned it down to 4 and the temp is now about 58c has not dropped much.

I also have the TD200 & RT10 intelligent package and the RT10 is set to 20c so is it best to have the boiler nearer to max?

Hi could you tell me what is the correct temp to have the boiler so it will condense.Have turned it down from max as surface temp is to hot on Rads.Worcester operating manual also recommends setting boiler to max for the rads.Not sure really what to do.

Thanks andy :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back