New Consumer Unit Required... Yes/No

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this question appears a little naive, but.....
I am having an extension build on the back of my house. The house is only three years old.
The electrician I have is telling me that I need a new consumer unit to comply with the regulations that came into force in Jan 16 - because we have a new ring and appliances.
We are moving the kitchen into the new extension and we are having new plugs / lights and appliances installed.
I am no electrician or expert on building regs.

But as the house is relatively new I would like some advice as to whether or not this is indeed the requirement!!

Help....

Sponsored Links
The only thing applicable from Jan 2016 is consumer units being non-combustible, as in made of metal.
There is no requirement to replace a consumer unit just because it is not made of metal / non-combustible.

In a 3 year old house, there should not be any reason to replace the CU.

No, providing there are spare ways on the existing consumer unit, there is no requirement to upgrade the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Please let us know which 'competent' person scheme the electrician is a member of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back