NEW Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am going to be visiting a friend of a friends house shortly to replace there CU (old fuse wire type) with a new CU.
My question is shall I replae it now with what will be the 17th edition style (all circuits basically connected to RCD) or is it still acceptable to replace with a normal split load, even tho the 17th will be coming into force this year. JUst thinking for future re-wiring, as guess if it is still on fuse wire then they will need to be fully re-wired soon.
Also, is there any suggestions, documentation on which circuit will go on what for the 17th edition style. Obviously trying to keep lighting circuits, power circuits of rooms next to one another on seperate sides. this way if one trips off you can still get light - power into the other room
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a "notsocleverspark" question. If you are competent and qualified enough to replace CU's you should know the answers to this especially the what goes where and 16th -v- 17th installations. There is (And has been for months) plenty of information available from wholesalers, manufacturers and posts on this site as to what goes where. It isnt rocket science. If you need to ask in my opinion you shouldnt even be contemplating changing a CU.

I presume you know all about the testing and Part P.

Yes, I know all about Part P and testing and that this work is notifiable.
Ill admit that I havent been keeping upto date with the 17th ed regs etc. but considering they dont come into force until later in this year then there is no real to worry about them yet, plus my college isnt doing the update course until end april, hence again, I have no info on it.
My main question was for thoughts really, as if the person requires a re-wire in a year or two when they can afford it do you think its better to save the expense for them now and get the RCD split CU or just an ordinary split load.
And i guess it is lazyness on my part asking recomendations on here for what circuit to be tied with each other on each side of the load but im at work currently (engineering work) and a bit bored. So apologies for that :).
cheers

As far as version of wiring regs is concerned, that's a matter for your LBCO. Mine told be that I should work to the 16th until the 17th is in force.

However of course nothing in the 16th PREVENTS you from using a CU configuration that the new guidance in the 17th promotes. I have done exactly this - my new CU is not split, and I am using RCBOs on all the final rings and a few of the other circuits.

The only thing I am not doing is RELYING on the RCBOs to not observe certain 16th edition regs that you can get away with by using the 17th ed (according to what I know about it).

Sponsored Links
My main question was for thoughts really, as if the person requires a re-wire in a year or two when they can afford it do you think its better to save the expense for them now and get the RCD split CU or just an ordinary split load.

Given the circumstances you describe I would go for a split load board and install to 16th.
Split load boards are as cheap as chips at present ~ £50 - 17th ed compliant boards are around £170+.

Once manufacturers have got the production volume of 17th ed boards increased then prices will come down (hopefully) so when rewire is required upgrade CU at that time.

You may even find the price of RCBOs comes down by then so non RCD side of CU can be upgraded with them.

As far as version of wiring regs is concerned, that's a matter for your LBCO. Mine told be that I should work to the 16th until the 17th is in force

It's not up to the LBCO - they are not the designer - in this lead in period you can choose either 16th or 17th - the choice is the designers. If you go through LBCO then it is up to them to inspect according to whichever edition the designer has chosen. Not that I'd expect any LBCO to be up to speed on the 17th edition.

Look at the updated version of Reg 314 in 17th edition - more onerous than before - so arguably only RCBO's on each way will work - any use of double RCD boards still doesn't comply as fully as all RCBO's.

I'm currently still installing to the 16th edition as theres not much choice of 17th edition CU's and they're more expensive at the mo

Not much choice???

Crabtree; Wylex; Contactum; MK; Square D - all been demonstrating new models at my local wholesalers this last month.

Hager been doing twin RCD boards for years.

I'm sure there are plenty of others around by now.

It's getting like test equipment, isn't it - large numbers of people completely unable to think for themselves and truly understand the requirements, just dumbly looking for stuff labelled "17th Edition".... :rolleyes:

No harm in asking questions though is it? :rolleyes:
Please keep in mind it`s the ladies and gents that come on here asking question that keep this site going. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back