New consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
One of the things you may lose as a result of in-competent and falsely signed off work is the life of a loved one.
Irrellevant scaremongering garbage.

Are you saying that in-competent work passed off as safe has never killed anyone ? In-competent work does cause many injuries and more than a few deaths.

If I was to be rude then I could think that may be it is irrelevent to you because according to some sources trolls are in-capable of loving or being loved by anyone.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that in-competent work passed off as safe has never killed anyone ?

No I'm not.
But you seem to be saying a qualified spark will give the stamp of approval to in-competent work carried out by others.

OK:

I have a friend who will sign off my work as being his own at the drop of a hat.

He's a qualified spark and a friend. Friends help each other out.
Do you know what that means? I appreciate you might not have many given the time you spend on here.
Are you now going to assume he'll sign it off without the necessary tests being completed?

He will have to sign the Installation Certificate. In the declaration he will confirm:

I, being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below, particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection and testing hereby Certify that the design, construction, inspection and testing work for which I have been responsible is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, in accordance with BS 7671: 2008 amended to N/A (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

So, he is signing for design, construction, inspection and testing, but he hasn't. If he signs to say he has then it's fraud.

He will not have designed
He will not have constructed
He will not have inspected (because you will have installed and plastered over all the cables.

Just turning on the lights and seeing they work is not enough.

PS Who would notify the local authority - your pet spark? More fraud and contravention of his registration.

OK:

I have a friend who will sign off my work as being his own at the drop of a hat.

Do you know what that means?
Are you now going to assume he'll sign it off without the necessary tests being completed?

It is not just testing. It is designing the system properly and then installing it properly. A poorly designed and / or poorly installed system can test out as perfect. Then when put under load it fails, some times catastrophically. That is why any sensible and qualified electrician who values his life style will not sign off work he has not seen being installed . He may be friends with you and trust you but if you make a mistake that results in damage, loss or injury after he has signed it then he has to take responsibility if it was bad workmanship or poor design or contravention of standards that caused the loss or injury.

You may find him less of a friend if he has to pay out thousands of pounds compensation for the poor workmanship that you did not tell him about when he signed it off.

There you go then - I was right - you are indeed claiming that a qualified spark (namely your friend) will give the stamp of approval to in-competent work carried out by others (namely you).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back