New consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace my old fusebox with a new Consumer Unit. It seems the number of makes and sizes (and prices) are massive.

Does anybody have any recommendations into a good solid make, as having looked at some of them the cases seem a little flimsy to say the least. The metal ones look very robust, but I don't know if I like the idea of electric and metal together in such close proximity!

Its only a small place so an ickle split load box will suffice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will get many (if any) replies to your enquiry as replacing the CU and testing the installation is not considered a DIY job.

Its always a good idea to know the price and the quality of the parts being used. This together with an understanding of all the composite parts may help you to stop getting ripped off.

Sorry mate, i dont think you know enough to complete the job safely, no offence, but you dont seem to know which cu is right, you could have a TT supply? TNC-S? these are things you NEED to know, i agree that you should need a guide price, in london area your looking at about £300-400(including parts and a instalation test) other areas it will be cheeper, your best off getting a few prices, 3 at least, pick the 'mid range' price

AR

Sponsored Links
no, that will set you back £600 and if you would like dimond covered meter tails your lookin at £800, you could have a platenum upgrade for £2000 :LOL:

I personally would recommend WYLEX :) or CRABTREE :) for solid robust build quality or, with a pinch of salt (compatibility) MK's range.

WYLEX have been in the business of fuse boxes/consumer units for 100 years, so would have expertise.

CRABTREE is also a very good make to use. :)

Sorry mate, i dont think you know enough to complete the job safely, no offence, but you dont seem to know which cu is right.......

In fairness firegazer was only asking for a recommended make, so if anyone asks a question they're incompetent, er, how did we get any knowledge? :oops:

if your not doing it yourself then what is the point of knowing weather having it near metal or not is safe? it implys that he is planning to do it himself, because i dont see the words 'i dont plan to do it myself' anyware, so i assume the worst, if we were to tell him a make, and he had a tt instalation with rubber wireing, he is not going to know.........
i am sorry if i have mis enterpreted, and i dont mean to cause offence, but i still stand by my posting, its better to be safe tahn sorry, or do you disagree 'oilman'?

AR

if your not doing it yourself then what is the point of knowing weather having it near metal or not is safe?

Have you never watched someone doing a job, and asked if the association of components or materials, which may appear incompatible, are in fact perfectly satisfactory?

it implys that he is planning to do it himself, because i dont see the words 'i dont plan to do it myself' anyware,......

Claiming that someone is implying what is, in fact, something you have inferred, is what barristers get up to in court. You need to tip-toe carefully around to find out what someone means, when they say something.

....so i assume the worst,.....

Sounds ok in theory, but in this case it did not answer the question, which MB did, so are you saying MB is negligent (Apologies MB for bring you into it, it is only to illustrate a point)

....if we were to tell him a make, and he had a tt instalation with rubber wireing, he is not going to know.........

Would you use the same logic, if one of your non-driving, non-licenced friends asked what was a good low pollution car to buy? Then refused to tell them because they didn't like the idea of LPG in the boot of a car?

...its better to be safe tahn sorry, or do you disagree 'oilman'?...

This is a rhetorical question, again used by barristers to elicit a particular answer, but which usually undermines the credibality of the argument being put.

Ok oilman, point taken, ill give my opinion, use mk, they are the best brand, if you kill yourself, burn your house down on 'oilman’s conscious be it'
good luck on doing it properly. please do not take this as an offensive remark to you, but i wouldn’t want to hear that you have become a statistic. here is some things to consider:
metal is stronger, if earthed properly it will make it impossible to get electrocuted from the casing
Use mk, wylex or mem, if you buy cheap, you get what you pay for
how old is your wiring? no good changing the board leaving in old cable
do you know what size and type of mcb’s you should use?
consider adding extra sockets whilst you have the chance to put in extra circuits
leave at least 2 spaces in the box, buy the next size up than you need, ie if you have 9 circuits, buy a 12 way
don’t forget bonding, main earth also now must be 16mm

and oilman:
Have you never watched someone doing a job, and asked if the association of components or materials, which may appear incompatible, are in fact perfectly satisfactory?
No i haven’t

Claiming that someone is implying what is, in fact, something you have inferred, is what barristers get up to in court. You need to tip-toe carefully around to find out what someone means, when they say something.

why? im giving my opinion, if he had said he felt competent, and looked like he had a sound knowledge of electrical infrastructure, i would have felt more happy about giving him advise, a little knowledge is a killer, he didn’t say he wouldn’t do it himself, im simply trying to tell him how badly things could go

Sounds ok in theory, but in this case it did not answer the question, which MB did, so are you saying MB is negligent (Apologies MB for bring you into it, it is only to illustrate a point)
No im not, and ok in theory? i would hope that safety goes further than theory in your book.

Would you use the same logic, if one of your non-driving, non-licensed friends asked what was a good low pollution car to buy? Then refused to tell them because they didn't like the idea of LPG in the boot of a car?

no because 'green fuels' is not my field, so i would be happy to say I don’t know, and he isn’t asking what else to look out for which would imply he does not know what to look for!

This is a rhetorical question, again used by barristers to elicit a particular answer, but which usually undermines the credibility of the argument being put.

it is not in any way rhetorical, but you don’t answer my question, so what’s your answer?

your field is oil boilers right?
just for a second its gas, so if someone asked you a good easy to install make of gas boiler, would you tell them knowing that the way they ask implies they intend to do it them self? and you would include no warning against it?
same for a pressurised system, knowing it could have catastrophic consequences?

i still stand by my post, i would rather know that he is safe and is not going to kill himself or even his neibours and family, than that there is yet another unsafe electrical installation some ware, see too many as it is, the uk needs no more

AR

Supersparks - you need to get back to work - that post was far longer than your usual - you must have too much time on your hands ;)

Oilman - in ss's defence, firegazer did say "I am looking to replace my old fusebox", not "I am looking to have my old fusebox replaced", and then went on to express a concern about electricity & metal in close proximity. Unless he thinks that reputable companies like MK et al are making dangerous products, why on earth should he be concerned about it if he wasn't planning an intimate involvement with electrical wiring and a metal CU himself?

Firegazer - whoever you get in will have his or her own favourite, and although there's a great deal of difference from an installers viewpoint, once installed there's not a lot in it for the consumer apart from aesthetics and whether you want the door over the MCBs to hinge at the top or the bottom. Your sparky will fit whatever you specify, but it'll be easier, and probably cheaper, to go with whatever (s)he has in stock.

thanks for seeing my point bas, ill keep this short :)
what ever he intends he hasnt come back yet so unless you have a degree in mind reading, there is no point in anyone assumming what he intended. im pretty sure none of us want him killing himself, or others, not saying he would of course :LOL:, and that was my main concern.
Have a safe new year all :D

and stay away from metal conduit.....as i found out, some people decide that the earth is coloured red :confused:

AR

Theres no need to be a mind reader supersparks ;)

Its true that I am no electrician, although judging by how much its going to cost I wish I was. I have tried to do some background reading around the subject to try and ensure that I'm not tied in knots by some silver tongued sparky trying to sell me all the crappy bits he's got left in stock from his previous jobs, or the Rolls Royce (MK?) of CU's when a VW Golf would be perfectly adequate.

I am not at all offended by what supersparks has said, and agree that safety is paramount. The metal CU comment was meant to be tongue in cheek ;) but reading it again I can see why you went off on one like you did (its a TN-C-S system by the way!)

Thanks for all the responses and have a happy (safe) NY :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back