New metal cover for Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our current consumer unit is safe and tested, but has a plastic housing and not metal (none flammable) like ideally it should be.

Is it possible to just buy a new metal based housing that will slot over my current consumer unit and cover the front, sides, top and bottom, but open at the back to allow it to simply slot over?

I would also prefer it it has a waterproof door (rubber seal) just because i'm paranoid about protecting the consumer unit against water.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your current consumer unit is perfectly fine and safe there is no requirement to change it. As for adding some kind of metal enclosure around it, I'm not sure what that would achieve. Waterproof door? are you suggesting your current consumer unit is fitted close to a source of water? And that there's a real risk of water ingress into the CU? If so then you likely need to think of another solution rather than just changing the door as there are potentially other places of ingress not just the front.

If your current consumer unit is perfectly fine and safe there is no requirement to change it. As for adding some kind of metal enclosure around it, I'm not sure what that would achieve. Waterproof door? are you suggesting your current consumer unit is fitted close to a source of water? And that there's a real risk of water ingress into the CU? If so then you likely need to think of another solution rather than just changing the door as there are potentially other places of ingress not just the front.

Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes there is a water pipe a bit closer to the consumer unit then i would like. It's a very old house and everythings a bit all over the place.

I was under the impression that 17th regs state the new consumer units should be steel to make them none flammable. Which i think is a good idea.

It's solid copper and it's also within plastic trunking though. However i would ideally like to encase all the electrics in none flammable steel bolted to the wall and then mastic the edges between steel and wall, all around the top were a few wires come out and using a waterproof door at the front.

Making a waterproof and fire retardant steel box around the entire CU.

Is it possible to just buy a new metal based housing that will slot over my current consumer unit and cover the front, sides, top and bottom, but open at the back to allow it to simply slot over?

I would also prefer it it has a waterproof door (rubber seal) just because i'm paranoid about protecting the consumer unit against water.
So you want a waterproof door to keep water out of an enclosure which is open at the back.

Can you really not see the problem there?

Sponsored Links
So you want a waterproof door to keep water out of an enclosure which is open at the back.

Can you really not see the problem there?

Hi, i won't be open at the back once it's tight to the wall on all four sides (bolted) and then mastic all the way around on both the inside and outside.

It's the only way to do it without touching the existing Consumer Unit casing, thanks

There's not much to gain by doing what you are proposing with the metal enclosure. If anything it could make hard work for any future changes you might have or need. If you are concerned about the pipes, lag them and box around them so that should they ever have issues the water will flow away from the CU.
Even if you did create a metal enclosure around the CU, should you have a fault inside that causes a fire/intense heat, the plastic CU would still catch fire or melt and being in a water tight enclosure could even prevent the smoke reaching your smoke alarm.

If you want peace of mind and it really will keep you awake at night then the right thing to do would be get all your electrics checked out as prevention of a potential electrical fault would be the first thing to do. You can think of changing to a metal CU at the same time or later date if its something you really want. But again there is no requirement to do so.

Out of curiosity what CU/fuses/mcb etc.. do you have? Can you post some photos of the CU and possibly the proximity to the water pipes?

Sir, you worry too much.

First of all, I doubt there has been a case where water has caused a fire. If that were the case, why do they fit water sprinkler systems to buildings? When I was a Boy Scout we used water to err put fires out.

Secondly. The wiring regulations are not retrospective. The new regulations only apply to new consumer units. There is no requirement for old ones to be updated.

Thirdly. The new metal-construction consumer units are a differemt shape and form to the older models. So you will not get a new metal one to fit on an old plastic base.

So, if you really want to change things, you have two options:
a) Have an electrician supply and fit a whole brand new consumer unit that meets the new regulations
b) Build a fire-resistant enclosure round the existing consumer unit

But really, there is as much chance of a fire starting in any of the hundred or so electrical junctions that are in your house, in every socket, under the wooden floors, in your loft space.

And then there's the fluff in the tumble dryer
The carpet on the stairs that might slip
Will those tectonic plates stay in place until the morning
Is the radon reading in my house at a safe level

My consumer unit has been without a front cover for nearly 2 years, any water getting in will just run out and if it catches fire there is less plastic to burn. Safe.

Hi,

Our current consumer unit is safe and tested, but has a plastic housing and not metal (none flammable) like ideally it should be.

Hi,

I know that Wylex manufacture retro fit replacement metal covers for their ranges.

DS

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back