New consumer unit.

I guess there's always the option of buying your own and asking the electrician to fit it - would they get upset by this?

Do a search on eBay for "consumer unit" in title & descriptions, there are several there at the moment, but don't buy the Volex or Wickes own, there are some MK, Hager and Clipsals.

Sponsored Links
id be wary of that, and if you do buy one from there, for god sake dont tell em its from internet, and make sure its still boxed, sealed would be better, thing is you dont know weather thses units are faulty, and someone has picked them out of a bin ect, im pretty sure we wouldent fit a cu which dident have documentation, or at least was not in a box, because it 'wouldent be worth the risk' so to speak, but by all means buy one from there, but make sure there is nothing wrong with it, at all, if its still boxed ect that would be your best option

AR

ban-all-sheds said:
I guess there's always the option of buying your own and asking the electrician to fit it - would they get upset by this?

Why should they - unless they are ripping us off :evil:

I recently had a new central heating system installed. One of the people who quoted was a friend of a friend of a friend etc. The price seemed a bit on the pricey side so I worked out the cost of all the parts, estimated the labour cost and discovered he was well over the top. I quizzed him about the price and he finally admitted that he had bumped up the price of the parts. He didn't get the work!

Sponsored Links
no i dont, and i think you should have a look at how you respond to posts, being sarcastic is not the way to answer peoples well ment advise, but seeing as you know everything i wont need to explain that people go in with a price sometimes double what they normaly would, simply because they dont fancy the job or they dislike the coustemer, there is enough work and not enough tradsmen which allows them to do this, the reason he admited it was cos he couldent care less if he tryed

I wonder which is worse, sarcasm or arrogance.

....the coustemer is an ****,.....

In principle ...the coustemer is NEVER an ****, (or even the customer) they are the reason for the existence of work for tradesmen.

You may learn, "what goes around, comes around", one day.

shame to see you cant admit your wrong in your other post, still, there is always one
also, how do we ow the coustemer? without electricians there would be no leccy, we dont need to be electricians, we could quite easly become failed electricians(plumbers), oh and btw where are you? in london, there is a shortage of electricians and plumbers, if you dont want the work you simply go in with a high price, for the simple raeson: we can and most people in the area are booked well in advance, the charges here are about double what they are in the rest of the country
this is what i was trying to say 'means he dident want the job' what was wrong with that? i gave him the reason....
and although what i have just said is perfectly alright, i know you will not agree, because you cant, your still pi$$ed off that you know you were wrong in the other post, but arnt big enough to admit it

Its about time electricians started to charge what they want, we must be only trade taking it easy on the public, (example, just bought my first house and got charged £375 for a surveyor to come in and recommend that I get a damp-course company, gas engineer, electrician, roofer reports carried out, why the #@#@ did I pay him)

£300 to replace a consumer unit.....bargain....do it... yeah the materials are cheap but I didn't spend five years in college to pick up mininium wage......

:evil: START THE REVOLUTION!!!!! :evil:

:evil: ......why the **** did u pay him btw?

supersparks said:
:evil: START THE REVOLUTION!!!!! :evil:

:evil: ......why the **** did u pay him btw?

Because thats what we do....don't we........did get me pennies worth though, did call him "an over-rated, over-paid pr###" but this then slowed the house move drastically......wouldn't mind but I got the damp-course people in and they said it was all fine, but I have dry rot in the living room boards / joists..........Maybe they didn't want the work either :LOL:

supersparks, I can't quite work out what I said that rattled your cage (or even if it was me), and quite frankly don't give a dam.

Whats wrong with just saying they dont wont the work rather than put in stupid quotes and waste everyones time?

because if you exept the price, its worth doin, but only a mug would. and its not good to turn down work, and as for stupid quotes....what was the point in telling us? who gives a **** that you are an asshole and someone upped their price because they reaslised this

supersparks said:
who gives a **** that you are an **** and someone upped their price because they reaslised this

How very nice of you to say. Keep up the excellent helpful posts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back