New Cooker Circuit Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I plan to rent out a house and it currently has no electric cooker circuit as all cooking was previously done by gas.
I assume I would have to run a suitable strength cable (6mm?) from the consumer unit to the kitchen. This would involve running the cable in trunking to the 1st floor bedroom and under the floorboards along the landing and down through a void that currently houses gas and water pipes into the kitchen ceiling. It would exit from existing boxing in as does the existing pipework.
1.Could I route the cable myself but leave all boards up to easily show a qualified spark the route I had taken so he could safely connect on both sides and certify?
2.Regarding trunking (the cooker socket would be surface mounted) so could I use plastic trunking or must it be metal?
Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can do it, but find the electrician before starting.
You may have trouble finding someone to do such a small job. Or it may be a similar price to have the electrician do all of it.

Plastic trunking is ok for now. In the future it may not be.

Through a void that currently houses gas and water pipes into the kitchen ceiling.
If hot water then Twin & Earth LSZH Cable not Twin & Earth PVC Cable BS6004 cable and select 10 mm² rather than 6 mm² and keep as far from hot water pipe as you can. Otherwise yes select electrician and arrange with him what you can do.

Sponsored Links
... and why LSZH ?
Yes, that too. We know the reason that eric suggested, but whether it is even remotely necessary is a different matter. I'm sure I am not alone in having PVC T+E and hot water/CH pipes within the same 'enclosed space' without any problems.

Kind Regards, John

Appx 4 sec 2.1 & Table 4B1.
What ambient temperature are you contemplating? As I said, a 32A OPD is more than adequate for any domestic cooker (25A, or even 20A, would be adequate in many cases), so one would have to postulate a pretty high ambient temperature before 6mm² cable ceased to be OK.

Kind Regards, John

I wasn't contemplating any particular temperature. Just suggesting a possible reason for Eric's 10mm².

I wasn't contemplating any particular temperature. Just suggesting a possible reason for Eric's 10mm².
Yes, that's possible. That's why I asked him 'why?', but have yet to receive an answer.

We don't even yet know for sure whether there are any hot water pipes in this void (that was eric's "if") - nor, if there are, whether they are just DHW or also CH. If just the former, then flow is usually so brief and infrequent that I probably wouldn't even bother to concern myself with ambient temp. Nor do we know the dimensions of this void - another important factor in attempting to decide how much (if any significant) effect on ambient temp in the void would result from any 'hot water' pipes that might be present.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back