New cooker needed - gas or induction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

My 20 year old Smeg has cooked it's last pie. The internal control board, display panels and plastics have melted. I contacted the company who repaired it since 2003 (I have just bought the house!) and the engineer knows he cooker well. He said it's time to put it to pasture.

So, do I get an induction hob or stick with gas. I have bottled gas for this - no mains gas.
It's a rather large - 110cm cooker, six rings on bob, and needs the same sized replacement.

Sponsored Links
Think I'd move to induction, but they do take a little getting used to.

Test your pans with a magnet, if it doesn't stick... you need new pans, so you'll need to factor this in the costs. Old cast iron pans work.

Also you might need a new circuit, some of these hobs can be heavy on current.

My biggest gripe with my induction (moved from gas) is you have to select the ring you want to control and then select the heat setting... i.e 1, 2 up to 9, but mine has a half setting between each... either hold your finger down, or lots of clicks... if you need to select another next ring, say to turn something down, you need to select that ring, set your temp and to-ing and fro-ing...

It's a bit of faff, but there other advantages... can't set the tea towel on fire... metal a plastic chopping board... as there are no flames to lick up the side of the pan.

thanks. Yes, I know your pain. I rented a house which had a hob like that. Lots of faffing.

Pots and pans? I thought aluminium or copper pans would be ok?

Valid point on the circuit. Just checked, it's on a dedicated 32A circuit. Existing cooker has an electric oven/grill. Should be ok then?

Gas bottles apparently cost £60 every 6 weeks if previous owner is to be believed. Will need to work out overall costs.
Being LPG I just found out that not anyone (gassafe) can install it so need to find a LPG person.

Sponsored Links
Just had a look at a Rangemaster induction. Max load - I assume that is a christmas day thing - is 16KW. That makes my 32A circuit wanting.....
I guess that settles that then :(

Are you old with weak wrists?

Don't get a glass topped hob. if you drop a heavy pan on them they can shatter.

Just weak wrists :mrgreen:
It had to be said.

I don't think induction - or electric only - is doable. If the circuit is limited to 32A (I have not checked the cable size so not sure) then I am rather limited.
Even the dual-fuel option was coming in at 8.5KW which is too high.

I've seen a couple that advise a 32 amp fuse

This for examples requests a 32 amp fuse despite being a 16kw cooker
https://markselectrical.co.uk/44444...KSwbyDR9AytEc1FwNRhoC4KUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So this is interesting -

upload_2022-1-21_12-24-3.png

That one you put as an example. It's rated at all-on 16.8KW (73A) but only a 32A fuse. Are they then expecting it to be a "mixed duty cycle" on the hobs and oven to stay under 32 for the most part.

Worth a mention, when I was looking around the salesman (looking at this old codger) advised me that if I had a pacemaker fitted an induction hob was not advisable!
Not bionic yet myself but worth considering! if you are.

So this is interesting -

View attachment 258208

That one you put as an example. It's rated at all-on 16.8KW (73A) but only a 32A fuse. Are they then expecting it to be a "mixed duty cycle" on the hobs and oven to stay under 32 for the most part.

I don't think every item will be on from the very start.

The heating elements once upto temp reduce there power usage to keep a steady temp. Even when cooking Xmas lunch all the various bits and pieces have differing cooking times and this ovens and Hobs all being switched on at different times.

I don't think I've ever seen an oven on an 80amp or 100amp breaker.

Most houses only have a 100amp incoming feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back