New Cooker Nightmare

SBH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so the wife has her heart set on a dual fuel rather than gas cooker. Rated 4.8kw (max), I am replacing a gas only cooker. I have no way to currently power this so need to run a 6mm cable from the circuit box to the kitchen. Nightmare, but needs must. I need to go in the ceiling, and run cable along and through joists.

a few questions I could not seem to find answers to.

How do I run a cable THROUGH joists and at what depth. Im figuring a decent drill to give the power will be too big to fit !

Is there a depth I need to drill at?

I dont intend to do the wiring - Im just prepping at this stage :)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you want a "bit and brace" .. great tool.. specially made for drilling joists ;) ..

the handle fits over the next joist along and it's ratcheted so you don't have to turn it all the way...

:rolleyes:

there's a specific measurement that you're supposed to drill in from the end of the joist.. but I can't remember it off the top of my head..
and it's supposed to be 50mm at least from the top and bottom of the joist to prevent nails penetration..

have a scan of the wiki, I'm sure it's mentioned in there somewhere..

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:route

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
yeah but which bit is that?

between 25% and 40% from either end?

so that leaves you 20% in the middle that you can't drill, and 25% at each end?

if I can't get to that bit, I can notch the first 25% from either end and run the cables that way?

Sponsored Links
Its not a matter of what bit you can get to, its the area permitted so that the support timber is not weakened.

Drill elsewhere and risk the wrath of building control, or enjoy meeting the people who live downstairs all of a sudden.

Here, this should make it clear:

hole lot of fun

I'm just using it for an example..

if say for instance, your bedroom has nice new laminate flooring and the only place you can run the cable is under the hallway floor, which is less than 25% the span from the end ( the end resting on the stairs wall ) then you can't drill it but you CAN notch it..?

Thanks folks
Out of interest - can I run a cable in the cavity "under the stairs"? It may be a simpler solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back