New CU only for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i was wondering if its possible to only have a new CU installed for the new circuits supplying a loft conversion, and leave the remaining circuits as they are on the exisiting fuse board supplying the rest of the house?

many thanks my lords

Sponsored Links
Hi, do you have any spare ways on your current consumer unit? Also is it just sockets and a light or are there other circuits to consider?

James

hi james, wow that was a fast reply! thanks !

unfortunately the current consumer unit is an old fuse box with the fuse wire and ceramic plugs, its full and it looks pretty old and terrible and could no doubt do with replacing, but i was under the impression that the old circuits had to be tested before they could be put onto a new CU and worst case scenario if they did fail would i purely be able to install the new circuits onto a seperate new CU?

there will literally just be a sockets and light circuit going into the loft,

thanks again

A loft conversion probably means boarding over the existing (old) upstairs lighting. This would be your last easy chance to have that bit cheaply rewired.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Apart from the valuable advice the above is giving you, yes you can have a separate consumer unit.

You could

1. Split the tails and take 6 to 10mm cable up to the loft and have a Garrage CU in the loft with a cut off by the meter ( with in 3 meters of the meter)

Or

2. Split the tails and put the CU by the meter and bring down the new ring main or radial and the lights down to the new consumer unit.

A loft conversion probably means boarding over the existing (old) upstairs lighting. This would be your last easy chance to have that bit cheaply rewired.

pointup.png

. What he said

fantastic guys!

thank you very much for your replies im very grateful, and i have definately taken the advice of the last option to rewire the upstairs lighting cheaply, a very sound idea!

b13kal i think option 2 is great !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back