new cylinder but now only hot water no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help. we have just had a new cylinder and have hot water again but cannot seem to get the radiatiors hot. The one's upstairs are but i think that it is probably just convection from the cylinder causing that. Have vents on the pipes and have tried bleeding radiators.
we have back fed the system by fitting a hose to the drain on one of the rads and filling by an out side tap and venting it through the f&e . the 3 port valve is new but is it is not wired in and is in the heating and hot water position. i have added more that enough vents to they system . the system has been bled and still nothing

Please help

Sponsored Links
Turn hot water off, turn heating on, pump on max speed, bypass shut, room stat to max, turn all rads off except one downstairs. See if this will push airlock, which it sounds it is, into rad. Then if this works, do each rad in turn ;)

groovychick69 said:
... the 3 port valve is new but is it is not wired in and is in the heating and hot water position.

H'mmm, I wonder.....hot water priority maybe?

Sponsored Links
Between the pump and the 3 port valve you should have an automatic system bypass valve fitted :rolleyes: :eek:

This needs to be shut ;)

How qualified is this CORGI engineer :rolleyes: He should have explained all this to you.

Are you sure he is qualified or are you having us on :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Between the pump and the 3 port valve you should have an automatic system bypass valve fitted :rolleyes: :eek:

This needs to be shut ;)

How qualified is this CORGI engineer :rolleyes: He should have explained all this to you.

Are you sure he is qualified or are you having us on :rolleyes:

there isnt one on there . there was one on the old system (i think )
from just under the pump to the return on the coil ?

can you try switching the 3-way to heating only?

If you did have one but do not now I wonder why it has been removed :confused:

Try everything i have said apart from the bypass issue.

According to another post I don't help women! Are you female? Have I been sexist against you? I hope not,

Try this and post back ;)

my other half has posted orignaly . she is a girl . but im looking into the matter now . btw im a bloke. yes you have been very helpful many thanks. i will try what has been surjested in the morning and post back.

btw do you think that the system could be full of ****. i know this would not help

Any thing is possible! If you drain off any water is it black, rusty or like treacle, or is it reasonably clear? This will answer your question.

See I thought you were female, but still tried to help :rolleyes: :LOL:

Hi,

Basically what everyone is trying to say is that because the 3 port valve hasn't been wired yet, you can only choose the heating and hot water manual open position. If there is an air lock which by the sound's of it there is, then the hot water will circulate the cylinder as it is taking the easiest possible route. As soon as the 3 port is wired you will be able to switch to heating only and force the air through. Unless you have a gate valve on the hot water cylinder coil you may struggle to shift the air. You can either try doing what the gas 4 you suggested, or wait until it is wired.

HTH Sam

gas4you said:
Any thing is possible! If you drain off any water is it black, rusty or like treacle, or is it reasonably clear? This will answer your question.

See I thought you were female, but still tried to help :rolleyes: :LOL:

It's very much appreciated.

Water is clear from radiators but original vents were full of black s**t and needed unblocking with a pin?!

sambotc said:
Hi,

Unless you have a gate valve on the hot water cylinder coil you may struggle to shift the air.

HTH Sam

there is vents on the top and the bottom of the coil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back