new cylinder but now only hot water no heating

Hi,

Won't make any odd's as the air is not stuck in the coil, but in the heating system.

As a guess i would say that you radiator's downstairs are on drop's , maybe you have solid floor's downstairs?

If so then the air is more than likely stuck at the top of these, which is why the upstairs radiator's are getting hot, but not the downstairs ones.

As soonas you are able to isolate the hot water coil, you will be able to force the air from it's current position.

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
groovychick69 said:
the 3 port valve is new but is it is not wired in and is in the heating and hot water position. i have added more that enough vents to they system .

;)

With the 3-port valve left in the mid position, the flow is going to take the path of least resistance, no matter what else you do to the system. Given the choice of flowing round a couple of metres of 22mm pipe in the HW cylinder, or, say, 10 metres of 15mm pipe which contains a bit of air and some old sludge, a radiator and it's valves, I think I know which way it will go....

Sponsored Links
thanx for all the help people, will try all that you have said and feed back tonight :D

groovychick69 said:
I'm a bloke she's a girl hence the user name :)

It always helps to explain the situation if you are using a screen name like that if you end you posting with a male name like "Richard".

But not Pat or other unisex name.

I am still unclear how your situation has arised. Again you have not made it clear if this is a DIY job which has gone wrong or if a proper qualified and experienced plumber did the work in which case he should sort it out.

Tony
( A male! )

have done as previously advised, we have heating upstairs thats working fine now but none downstairs. I have bled downstairs and tried to balance the system. I have taken approx 10l of water out of each radiator. they got warm but then cooled down so think i was just drawing hot water down from upstairs. at no point did the return pipes get hot.
The radiator valves are all open. Do you think it could be possibly full of sludge as the two radiators which are not working are at the bottom of the system.
Will it require power flushing??

groovychick69 said:
have done as previously advised

Do you mean you have changed the motorised valve to Heating Only?

If the pump is running, next, turn off the upstairs rads.

JohnD said:
groovychick69 said:
have done as previously advised

Do you mean you have changed the motorised valve to Heating Only?

If the pump is running, next, turn off the upstairs rads.

i have turned the valve to heating only and turned off the rads up stairs. still no heat down stairs

Is there a bypass valve between the pump and the 3 port valve? If so shut this, put pump on full speed and with hot water off turn all rads off downstairs bar one.

When you drained the water out of rads what colour/state was it?

gas4you said:
Is there a bypass valve between the pump and the 3 port valve? If so shut this, put pump on full speed and with hot water off turn all rads off downstairs bar one.

When you drained the water out of rads what colour/state was it?

there is no bypass valve
ive done as you advised with the pump and turning all rads off bar one and still no joy

the water seemed clear but when i bled the system it looked like nasty cider

up stars is now working but bugger all down stairs

Looking back over previous posts just realised I have repeated myself :oops: :oops:

When you say upstairs are hot do you mean really hot, put your hand on rad and count to 3 then ouch! or just warm?

Can you see the pipework where the cold fill joins system and vent is joined? can you try to describe this layout?

I ask because i was recently called in to a job exactly as yours , cyl change, no heat to rads afterwards. Installer who done it washed his hands of problem, turned out to be the above pipe work problem. I re-piped fitting an aerjec and all was solved ;)

Has anyone checked the pump is A1 :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Looking back over previous posts just realised I have repeated myself :oops: :oops:

When you say upstairs are hot do you mean really hot, put your hand on rad and count to 3 then ouch! or just warm?

Can you see the pipework where the cold fill joins system and vent is joined? can you try to describe this layout?

I ask because i was recently called in to a job exactly as yours , cyl change, no heat to rads afterwards. Installer who done it washed his hands of problem, turned out to be the above pipe work problem. I re-piped fitting an aerjec and all was solved ;)

Has anyone checked the pump is A1 :rolleyes:

i will have to look at the cold fill as i carnt remember as im helping a friend out with this problem. the pump is noisy . i have tryed to bleed it by removing the silver screw cap in the middle of it . and i have cracked the nuts either side of it.

Power fliushing will always help if you can prove it is a dirty system causing the problems. At £350 + VAT or more it is an expensive option that may not help :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back