new cylinder but now only hot water no heating

gas4you said:
Power fliushing will always help if you can prove it is a dirty system causing the problems. At £350 + VAT or more it is an expensive option that may not help :rolleyes:
wow could we not hire one ?

Sponsored Links
Yes you could hire one, I think around £60 ish, chemicals will be £25 upwards for goog quality, but if you can't get flow to downstairs rads how are you going to flush them. A powerflush machine is not a magic machine :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Yes you could hire one, I think around £60 ish, chemicals will be £25 upwards for goog quality, but if you can't get flow to downstairs rads how are you going to flush them. A powerflush machine is not a magic machine :rolleyes:
i understand what your sayin

been speaking to a mate who used to be a plumber and he says i should remove the rads and have a look to see if there full of sluge and jet them with a jet wash.

Sponsored Links
groovychick69 said:
gas4you said:
i understand what your sayin

been speaking to a mate who used to be a plumber and he says i should remove the rads and have a look to see if there full of sluge and jet them with a jet wash.

Don`t bother being ripped off from either British gas or some other monkey regarding powerflushes, the only thing great about it is it`s ridiculous name,it won`t powerflush anything only your bank balance.Remove your rads, bang an ordinary garden hose down one end, clear out the crap & re-fit.
Huge improvement,heating wise, you have now saved yourself between 3 & 600 quid.
Happy Days :D :D :D

Hi,

How old is the system?

How high is the F+E tank in the loft, is it sitting on the ceiling?

Also what size pipe have they used for the radiators, in particular downstairs?

Does the pipework drop down to feed each or a few radiators, or is there only one drop feeding al the downstair's circuit?

I take it, you now have power to the 3 port, so you can flick it to heating only, and with all the upstairs radiator's turned off on BOTH side's the boiler is quickly cutting out on max temp?

Sorry for all the Q's but IMO the problem is airlocked pipework still.

Sam

groovychick69 said:
im told before we changed they cylinder that the rads down stairs didnt work

Are a part of the story we were not told :rolleyes: It would be most helpful for all on here if we new all the facts before we could consider our replies etc :rolleyes:

sambotc said:
Hi,

How old is the system? [color=red]about 15 i think [/color]

How high is the F+E tank in the loft, is it sitting on the ceiling? yes

Also what size pipe have they used for the radiators, in particular downstairs? 15 mm in the living room . 10 mm in the kitchen

Does the pipework drop down to feed each or a few radiators, or is there only one drop feeding al the downstair's circuit? it has two drops one for the living room and one for the kitchen . they ore the only rads on the ground floor

I take it, you now have power to the 3 port, so you can flick it to heating only, and with all the upstairs radiator's turned off on BOTH side's the boiler is quickly cutting out on max temp? yup

Sam

gas4you said:
groovychick69 said:
im told before we changed they cylinder that the rads down stairs didnt work

Are a part of the story we were not told :rolleyes: It would be most helpful for all on here if we new all the facts before we could consider our replies etc :rolleyes:[/quote
only told that today my self

Can you turn both the valve's on the dpwnstairs radiators off, then disconnect the flow pipe from out of the valve and empty a few litres of water into a bucket, then repeat on other side, just to check both sides are free from blockages. If you can get someone to hear for the ball valve in the loft to fill to that would be a bonus. Can also look for sludge build up at the same time.

My guess would be that it's an old system with a pump that's on it's way out. May help raising the F+E tank a metre too.

HTH Sam

Quick brainstorm and thought, have you got thermostats on the rad's?

Can you make sure they are both working or at least letting water pass through them?

sambotc said:
Quick brainstorm and thought, have you got thermostats on the rad's?

Can you make sure they are both working or at least letting water pass through them?

yea there are thermosts on the rads that arent working but the one in the kitchen has the stat on the return :rolleyes:

im thinkin remove the rad in the kitchen clean out the rad and put new a new valve and stat and see what happens , then try agan and do the same in the living room

Remove valve heads on downstairs rads and check for pin movement. Tap gently on pin with hammer or pull very carefully with a pair of grips.

have removed the head on the one in the living room and the pin moves . didnt get round to trying the one i the kitchen

Does it move with you pushing/pulling it or if you push it in does it sring back out on its own?

Are there drain cocks under each downstairs rads? If so try draining some water out of each and see if you can remove possible air lock this way.

I would have tried a new pump by now though if this was my job, just to eliminate the obvious as sambotc said earlier ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back