new decking on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ya,

I have a flat roof over my kitchen thatin the past had been converted to facilitate as a roof garden. In order to be more comfortable and appealing i want to put decking down but have previously been advised to check that the roof joists would support the weight. If i pull up some of the roof covering to ascertain the size of the joists what size do i need them to be?

And if i have the right joists do i have to affix the decking to the house in any special way or can i simply lie the decking straight down over some new external fixing joists for clearance?

Thanks,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Need to know the span of the joists as well. BCO maybe able to tell you the size of the joists from their drawing plan. Can you measure the fascia board height where normally a gutter is?

Hi,

Sorry to be stupid but is that the board that the drainpipe would be attached to? If so, i can easiliy measure that but how will that help determine anything related?

df.gif

Can't always tell but a 8" fascia normally be 6"x2" joists sitting on a 2" wallplate.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

How would I contact the BCO? I am sorry but i have never dealt with them and do not know what it stands for either to be honest, I am guessing it is a building council of some sort?

Rob.

Building Control Office. In my area you don't have to make appointment for their free advice.

BCO = Building Control Officer

You would contact them via your local council offices (They are the people who deal with building/planning regulations)

Many thanks guys, I'll give them a call to see if they hold the details of the original work.

Is there a rule of thumb method to acertaining the joists required on a 4 metre by 5 metre flat roof? Obviously once i have located the size of the current joists I need to ensure that mine are adequate engough or not. Also, would they need securing in any special way to the house/wall or can they simply be affixed to the surface?

Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back