New Dimmer Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Last night the lights went off and my dimmer started to smoke. I turned the power to the house off and removed the dimmer. The circuit board was black and burnt badly.

This morning, I bought a new dimmer and installed it and everything works fine, but I can still smell the smoke quite stongly at times. I have turned the hose power off a couple of times and removed the dimmer, but the smell isn't coming from the dimmer itself.

Am I just being paranoid or could I have other issues??

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
when you replaced the dimmer, did you strip back the cables to remove the old copper. cos' if you havent the copper will have softened and be making a loose connection. this could maybe make the "smell". try cutting the cable back the nice new copper (not too far) then remake the connections. im pretty sure some sparks will back me up or give me a shouting if im wrong ;)

Thanks for your reply.

Last night when I removed the old dimmer, I cut the wire instead of just unscrewing it out of place, so today I had to strip off some coating to get fresh wire.

What was also weird, is that my wires are coloured Black, Brown and Yellow/Green??

thats good you stripped it back. maybe the smell is just stuck in the box and when the dimmer heats up u start to smell it. The last burning was indefinatley a loose connection. The wire colours though, im sure another sparky on here said what that was, can't rember who though.

Sponsored Links
What was also weird, is that my wires are coloured Black, Brown and Yellow/Green??

Sounds like 3core & Earth with the grey core cut back,

or old colours and the red insulation has become discoloured by old dimmer failure.

I have had the light on tonight for about 2 hours so far and the smell has got stronger again and the new dimmer switch seems to be quite warm. I have turned it off for now and the smell has gone.

I am wondering if I have wired it up wrong, although I'm sure I haven't.

If I have wired it correctly, then does this mean that my electric's are shot to you know what???

is the dimmer suitably rated?

ie does the wattage of your lights exceed the wattage of your dimmer.

Before you said the smell is getting stronger I was going to advise it was nothing to worry about as the smell of electrical burning can last for ages but now i'd suggest as above check you are not overloading the dimmer.

Could it be rubber cable?

Some "rubber" reds go brown with age.

And before you ask, yes there is such a thing as rubber T & E!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back