New Dishwasher - how to do the waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Well after the drama of my other dishwasher blowing up, I have now purchased a brand new Hotpoint DWF70 Ultima machine, due in approx 3 weeks time.

My husband has already sorted the water side out, he has self cut into the exisiting cold supply, but we are unsure of what to do with the waste pipe.

Currently the washer waste pipe goes into the plastic U thing that comes with the machine and this is then fed into the top of the long length of pipe that runs to the outside drain (is that called a stand pipe).

We have a bowl and a half sink and the half bit has a drain with a little piece jutting off it, can the dishwasher waste pipe go on there, and if so would there be any problems with water going back into the dishwasher or filling the half bowl up.

We didnt want to put both machines on the same waste as if we use both machines at the same time, I believe that can cause syphoning from one machine to another.

Can both machines run if they are sharing the water though??

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks alot

Catherine

Sponsored Links
didn't you say "Well after the drama of my other dishwasher blowing up" so that means the old one is redundant, why not use the plumbing for the old one?

as for those "screw / clamp on taps" good luck!

It is not uncommon for them to "re seal themselves" as the water pressure has been known to force the copper that was "cut out" to bend back over the hole efectivly sealing it. (but not totaly)

you can have both appliances on at the same time , just that they will take twice as long if they both want water at the same time as they will be sharing the water that is available, a bit like flushing the loo when the shower is on

Hi Breezer

The story of what has happened with the other dishwasher is I was given it last weekend, my friend had had it stored in her garage for 4 years and never used it (although her mum had used it previously and it worked fine).

Anyway she brought it to us and when we checked it out originally there was some chewed wires underneath which my hubbie replaced. We then plumbed it into the washing machine water and waste to see if it then worked, this time it did come on but no water was being sent through the spray arms.

We rang a couple of appliance engineers who said the motor may have seized, so my hubbie being helpful, took the machine outside and flipped it on its head and checked the motor, unfortunately doing that caused the water that was left in the machine to spill down into the door and when it was later put back in to try (the motor was fine btw), the water had got into the timer and when we put the electric on, it blew it up.

So it never did actually work for us, so didnt have any existing plumbing for it.

You say about the probs with the clamp on taps, what is the other option to do a water supply. Is that fairly easy to do?

Do you have any info on the waste considering we just have the one waste at the mo, the one for the existing plumbed in washing machine.

Thanks alot for your help

Catherine

i see, all now is clear.

Yes you can have two "Wastes" just ask hubby to t off the existing one, that is at the bottom, before it turns upwards

like this
waste.gif

also make sure that both waste outlets are the same height.

as for options for the water inlet best do similar as for the waste (put in a t piece) and then put in a rising pipe and put a washing m/c valve on the end, which you can see / get here

Sponsored Links
Hi again Breezer

My hubbie has checked the long waste pipe and unforuntely it just isnt secure enough to have anothe pipe coming off it, so I think at the mo the best bet would the little piece that juts off the 1/2 bowl drainer.

The wter inlets come in across ways, so how can he a t piece. I am sorry for all these questions, its getting late and Im getting confused.

Thanks again for your help

Catherine

PS So using the self cutting pipe thing isnt a good idea.

ryanred5 said:
Hi again Breezer

My hubbie has checked the long waste pipe and unforuntely it just isnt secure enough to have anothe pipe coming off it, so I think at the mo the best bet would the little piece that juts off the 1/2 bowl drainer.

The wter inlets come in across ways, so how can he a t piece. I am sorry for all these questions, its getting late and Im getting confused.

Thanks again for your help

Catherine

PS So using the self cutting pipe thing isnt a good idea.

If the existing pipe is notsecure then you could always put a bracket on it to make itsecure, or change the whole pipe

and no the self cutting taps are a pain in the (insert word of your choice)

initialy they work , but after a while.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back