New Doors - Should I Accept This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some new french doors delivered which were dropped off whilst i was at work.

Looks like they have been scraped about a bit which im not fully happy with.

1. Is it now normal for them to come as completed units i.e. with glazing already in? The 1st thing i'll have to do is take glazing out so i can actually move the flipping things!

2. Looking at the photos, would you refuse these due to the marks?

3. There is a difference of 12mm width measured across the top width versus across the middle. Then the bottom is back to 10mm wider than middle. Normal?

4. Looking at the gap in the photos for one of the doors. I was expecting to adjust hinges a bit but this seems quite extreme? Other door is aligned perfectly.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm no expert on double glazed units but there are some on here who say they are. bottom line, no I wouldn't accept them if you have bought them new. the gaps might be because they haven't been set up in their frames yet but the marks and chips are inexcusable.

Thats all pretty standard.

1. Yes alot of company's send frames glazed, Just whip the glass out for fitting.
2. The marks should clean off with a bit of solvent. Check before fitting.
3. It wont be straight until its fitted. 2mm difference between top and bottom is well within tolerances.
4. The gaps are because the frame isnt square yet. You will have to fit it plumb and square before that all lines up.

5. Get them to send you some replacement caps for the hinges, Maybe 1 new hinge too and some touchup paint. Although a fitter would just touch up that bit of paint with some touch up before fitting and you would never have noticed.

Thanks both.

Just to clarify, the difference top versus middle is 12mm, bottom versus middle 10mm and therefore top v bottom 2mm.

The marks dont clear off as they are through the plastic.

Sponsored Links
The marks dont clear off as they are through the plastic.

They do with the right gear.

Ignore any gaps, doors dont come set up.

Theres no point measuring the middle of a frame, its flexible plastic.

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice. Appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back