New doorway in supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have various builders coming over to quote for some work. It is to knock a 'standard' size doorway through a supporting wall and make good. Just wanted to check on here first to get some ammo for when they come over.

I have had pipework and electrical cables removed from the relevant section of wall, so should it just be a case of supporting the floor above, installing a lintel and knocking through, tidying up etc? If so, then what as a ball park figure would be a decent quote, I was thinking possibly 2 days work, around £500? Not sure if I'm expecting too much! (I live in East Anglia.)

Are there any things I should make sure get done, ie do calculations need to be done or is it just a standard lintel / rsj for this. The opening will only be roughly 80 - 90 cm.

I have spoken to our local building office and they said a builder should just be a to put in the required support due to the small width of opening.

Cheers

Carl

Sponsored Links
A standard, single door size knock-through would involve fitting a p.c.c. builders lintel to the opening, provided there are no unusual (point) loads above.

Is there a door casing involved, door hanging, waste removal etc? There may also be discrepancies in floor heights which can be a problem to feather out in such a short distance.

There is no door hanging involved as it will just be an opening for an internal corridor we will be adding, so it just needs plastering and making it look neat.

I would want the builder to remove the waste, although I am doing other work so may have a skip onsite that they can use at least.

There are (as far as I can tell anyway) no abnormal loads above. There are two bedrooms with a stud wall in between them and above that in the loft is nothing other than the roof supports etc. The water tank is on the complete opposite side of the loft for example. But as with all these things I obviously don't know exactly what to look for, but for all intents and purposes it seems like a fairly straight forward task!

probably jinxed it now! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back