Creating a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys , just after a bit of info as we are having alterations done in the house and I have to have a new doorway going from the house into the extension on ground floor .. the existing one will the be blocked up. I could get the builders in but this is something I would like to have a go at so if its not to involved I may give it a go.. it is a load bearing wall which once was the side of the house so am I right in saying I will have to knock through above it and use acro bars with a support between then fit the lintel then cut out doorway ,what is the best support to use? ,will I need 2 or 4 acros? and what type/size lintel should I use.... any other help tips will be great but if it beyond my scope I will call the pro,s......... thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As it was the outside wall, it'll be double skin.
I'd use 4 acros and 2 needles, or 4 acros and 4 strongboys.

I've found that a core drill is an excellent way of making the holes for the needles.
Others might take a chance with just one needle, but I wouldn't but I'm only a DIYer, not a pro'
Depending on the length of the strongboy, you might get away with two.

Last edited:
As it was the outside wall, it'll be double skin.
I'd use 4 acros and 2 needles, or 4 acros and 4 strongboys.

I've found that a core drill is an excellent way of making the holes for the needles.
Others might take a chance with just one needle, but I wouldn't but I'm only a DIYer, not a pro'
Depending on the length of the strongboy, you might get away with two.

A bit wet behind the ears and I know you mean support but when you say needled can you expand

The temporary support going through the wall are called needles.

Sponsored Links
What would be suffice as needles for temp support........ as short piece of 3x2 or is that not strong enough?

What would be suffice as needles for temp support........ as short piece of 3x2 or is that not strong enough?
Possibly depending on the length, i.e. not too long, but enough to allow sufficient working room. I'd probably prefer something a little meatier. 75mm X 75mm (3" X 3") minimum
Steel channel sections, 25mm solid steel bar, scaffold bar or similar would be better.
It'll be holding up the pyramid of bricks above the proposed lintel only, not the whole wall.
I copied this from another site:

forming-opening-in-wall.jpg

If you're cutting out for a single door, you can dispense with the head trees and support the needles directly.

This is a good step by step guide: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-to/brickwork/install-a-lintel

I use 6"x3" rsj as needles, wouldn't use scaffold poles as needles as they can bend. On a single 3ft door would normally use 2 acrows and 1 needle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back