New doughnut thingy for toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet here has probably been in situ since 1994, when the house was built, and is seeping water out from the join between the cistern and bowl (close-coupled, as you can see). So I’d like to replace the doughnut.

However, in my very early days on this forum, years ago, I tried to do this with the toilets in my modern Shedrow house back in England, and found they used a non-standard (I think Ideal Standard or something) doughnut, so it all turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Any way I can tell before removing the cistern if it’s likely to be a standard kind? Can you tell anything from the pics?

Thanks as always :D

PS I know, I know, new toilet time... but the floor has been tiled round this one, meaning I'd need a new floor too... sigh...

20180514_162333.jpg
20180514_162242.jpg
20180514_162231.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most likely the standard round donut however until you remove the cistern you won`t know if it is just the donut or you need the fixing kit as well. Start it early in the day to give yourself time to get the bits is the best advice.

Sponsored Links
Along with the close coupling kit I would suggest fitting a Fluidmaster fill unit and a Flapper valve and chuck out all the old gubbins, Cheap enough for peace of mind
Agree, might as well do it whilst the cistern is off.

Oh - just a thought - is it possible to fit a random new cistern easily?

I mean, do the holes tend to line up, or... not...

The problem is getting a replacement cistern that will line up with the pan holes and butt up against your tiled wall,sizes vary so much these days :!:

Nice cistern lid :)

just pumps has the best advice,start early (y)

Oh - just a thought - is it possible to fit a random new cistern easily?

I mean, do the holes tend to line up, or... not...
Most of that carp will scrape of with a piece of plastic or wood with a sharp edge and Kil-Rock in a spray bottle.

some of the non-standard fittings have four screws, the usual ones have two.

I keep a few stainless coach bolts, washers and wingnuts for cisterns, because I've been enraged in the past at having to saw through rusted old parts. Is it M8? You can buy small numbers on fleabay at a modest price.

p.s.
if you buy a new cistern, it needs to be larger water capacity than a typical modern one. You can still get them, but have to hunt around. The capacity might be marked on the inside of your cistern, in litres or gallons, if not, fill it up with a litre jug and count them. The Flapper valve gives a very forceful flush, which I favour.

Nice cistern lid

Why, thank you Ma’am {curtsies} – no seriously, I’m on a very tight budget, having kind of forcibly retired with no pension yet, so I tend to leave unfashionable things alone unless they’re (a) bust, or (b) p*ssing water all over the floor.

So the house is full of early 90’s features… some day, some day… by which time they’ll no doubt have become popular again, like Victorian fireplaces.

Kil-Rock in a spray bottle.

I am a GREAT believer in Kilrock.

And sometimes hydrochloric acid, if that won’t shift it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back