New Electric cooker/hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, first post here so hello to everyone and a nice big please can you help me too....

I'm about to replace a combined cooker/hob unit which is hardwired in at the moment with a seperate cooker and hob units. The manufacturers instructions are less than helpful and merely imply that you can connect either by hardwiring or plug but supply nowiring for either connection.

The kitchen has both a hardwiring port along with a plug socket, the socket being isolated by a switch titled 'gas ignition' and the hardwired with another entitled 'cooker'

I'm hoping it will be as simple as connecting the cooker to the plug and the hob to the hardwired socket (due to the wattage drawn??) and if thats the case, due to the lack of cabling supplied,can anyone advised/confirm what grade of cabling I use.

Many thanks in advance for any helpthat you guys can give....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes use 6mm cable for the electric hob to the cooker outlet.

Use 1.5mm flex or cable for the oven, preferably replce the socket with a FCU (fused switch) and wire to that.

This is IF both appliances are electric.

BTW, if you have a gas hob now, you wont like electric hobs.

It would also be wise to ensure the entire cooker outlet is supplied by a cable thats heavy enough to handle the combined load and that the breaker/fuse is correct for the cable.

I also second the point about electric hobs, they are unbearably rubbish! Electric oven is alright, although a fan assisted gas one would probably be better.

Thanks for the advice guys, the leccy hob was chosen thru visual rather than cooking reasons and my g/f is more than comfortable with cooking with it. All that needs be is for me to wire it up without short circuiting the entire street!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
All that needs be is for me to wire it up without short circuiting the entire street!!
The stuff only of TV and film. Would never happen in real life. :rolleyes:

And if you have any doubts over your electrical ability, please consult a recommended electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back