New electric oven with plug (old one hardwired)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I have a quick question regarding fitting of a new single electric oven.

The new oven comes with a 13A plug (Indesit FIM33KAIX). My old oven is hardwired into a connection plate behind the oven which is connected up to the cooker switch (I believe 45A?).

I dont want to cut the plug off the new oven, so is there any reason I can't replace the connection plate with a 13A single socket and plug the new oven in? (obviously turning the power off first!)

Is there anything I have missed?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem replacing oven outlet plate for 13A socket plate.
Likely cooker circuit is in 6mm conductors, but they normally squeeze into the terminals of a socket plate.

Sponsored Links
Use an Unswitched MK socket - they have really generous terminals making it easier to install - The Cooker Control Panel remains the control point switch.

A lying electrian on mybuilder.com said:
Firstly you must apply for Part P building regulation consent to carry out DIY electrical works.
I wonder in how many other ways he lies and cheats in order to line his own pocket?

Scumbag.

Morning, finally getting round to the job in hand. Ive taken off the cover for the cooker connecting plate and found 2 cables with 2 lots of L, E, N. Wasnt expecting that. Power definitely dead to cooker when turned of cooker circuit at consumer unit (and cooker switch) Would you just go ahead and try to connect into socket (will need an MK one as Kai suggested) or put one set of cables into an insulating block?

The socket to the left in the picture is for the hob, so not touching that.
Apologies for the poor quality pic - rubbish phone and poor light.

Attachments

• IMG_20150822_082305.jpg
    IMG_20150822_082305.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,888
So you mean 2 cables as well as the cable to the cooker? What else stops working when you switch off the cooker isolator, eg. extractor fan?

Yes those cables exclude cooker cable (both sets originate from the wall). The extractor still works as on separate circuit (has a separate fused spur above oven, which kills the extractor when I turn it off). Slightly better pic attached (cooker wire cables out of site but are the new blue, brown colours)

Attachments

• 20150822_090132.jpg
    20150822_090132.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
It's not supplying the socket on the left though no? Those cables don't look like 6mm so you should be able to get them both in the socket anyway

No socket on left is also wired separately although in to the same circuit as power to hob killed when turn off cooker circuit.

Took the plate off and the left wires are thin ones - the ones on the right are thicker as you can see. I cant understand what the ones on the left are.

Attachments

• 20150822_091600.jpg
    20150822_091600.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 479
Ah... unless the loop around in the wall to supply socket next to it for hob??

EDIT - yes they do. Phew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back