New electric supply - ADMDs in kVA - kVA load required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm applying for a new electric supply.
UK Power Networks have requested an accurate breakdown of the "required kVA load".
ALL ELECTRIC 2 BED FLAT.

I have worked out my requirements as below in watts, but am struggling to convert to the "ADMDs in kVA" they require.

Lights: 280w
Sockets: 3200w
Hob/oven: 2500w
Shower: 10000w
Hot water instant boilers (2of) : 20000
Radiators : 14000

Total 61000w

What is the ADMD I require?
And
The kVA load required?

Tia

Sponsored Links
How are the water heaters and shower wired in? Is there a device / devices to prevent both water heaters being used at the same time, and also prevent a water heater and shower being used at the same time?

What exactly are the radiators, and why do you have 14kW of space heating in a 2 bed flat?

How are the water heaters and shower wired in? Is there a device / devices to prevent both water heaters being used at the same time, and also prevent a water heater and shower being used at the same time?

What exactly are the radiators, and why do you have 14kW of space heating in a 2 bed flat?

The shower and water heaters will be wired into separate fuses.
No device to prevent both from working at the same time, they may well be used at the same time occasionally.

7 electric radiators x 2000w each = 14kw

Have I over estimated the required power consumption?

Sponsored Links
No device to prevent both from working at the same time, they may well be used at the same time occasionally.
2x 10kW heaters are 80+ amps on their own - more than the entire supply you will get for a single dwelling.

Forget the instant heaters and electric shower, and install an unvented hot water cylinder instead.

7 electric radiators
In a 2 bed flat?

2x 10kW heaters are 80+ amps on their own - more than the entire supply you will get for a single dwelling.

Forget the instant heaters and electric shower, and install an unvented hot water cylinder instead.

In a 2 bed flat?

Thanks,
So hot water cylinder/tank is the way to go.

Hot water tank with heating element or unvented hot water tank?

Will the hot water tank supply 2 showers, 2 sinks & 2 basins?

Type of tank - depends on many factors. Will it supply 2 showers, 2 sinks, and 2 basins - yes if it's sized correctly.

Now, types of tank available ...
There's the traditional open vented cylinder. Pros: cheap, well understood. Cons: Need potentially large header tank, very low pressure (only whatever head there is from water level in header tank to outlet, so barely anything in most flats). Pressure can be boosted with a pump - but that makes your shower very noisy :whistle:
Unvented cylinder. Pros: gives you mains pressure hot water. Cons: Expensive, dangerous enough that the regs require they be fitted by a suitably qualified plumber and they must be a complete package of cylinder and the multiple safety devices, have restrictions on where the safety vent pipe can be run which restrict their siting in many properties.

Also consider:
Thermal store or heatbank. Pros: gives you mains pressure hot water, cylinder itself is open vented and doesn't need the safety systems of an unvented system, can DIY fit, can DIY a heat bank if you're that way inclined, if suitably sized can be used to run wet central heating (and you can use a modulating pump for an efficient and virtually silent system). Cons: Many plumbers are ignorant of them (I've even read some comments from them that they would never ever suggest one which means they would willingly mislead some customers :mad:), can be expensive (depending on type), may struggle finding a local plumber who doesn't do the tradesman's special "sucking through teeth" before telling you it needs ripping out and replacing with his preferred solution (usually a combi), may need electrical power to have hot water.

At one point, thermal store generally meant a passive type needing no electrical power (the heat exchanger being a large coil inside the cylinder, working a bit like the reheat coil in a traditional DHW cylinder but in reverse), and heat bank meant a cylinder where the heat exchanger (typically a plate heat exchanger) is external and a pump circulates water from the cylinder through the PHE as required. However, these days it seems that the distinction has disappeared and both types are just called thermal stores.
Both types have their pros and cons, but either would do for you - provided it's sized correctly.

The key thing is correct sizing. In theory you can't go too big, all it would do is take longer to heat up, but would otherwise allow you hot water usage that you aren't needing - but of course, the larger it is, the more space it takes up and the higher the floor loading (which is always something to consider).
But if undersized, you risk running out of hot water if everyone wants baths and showers at similar times.

If you did decide to use wet CH with a thermal store, then you do need a significantly larger store, but you could (in theory) take advantage of any multi-rate tariffs available (eg the old E7). I say "in theory" because it seems the saving on "cheap rate" has diminished significantly in recent years - I imagine due to a combination of there being less nuclear (works best if run at full, or at least constant, output all the time) and the population being more varied in their lifestyles. But it's not hard to arrange the store to fully heat everything on a cheap rate, but only top up part of the store as needed the rest of the time.
At some point I think we can expect tariffs designed for this sort of thing, where they can remotely control your immersion heater(s) (as a means of demand management, with certain availability guarantees) in return for lower rates. But AFAIK we don't have those yet - and the protocols for smart metering don't support them as they'd need to be done.

Just tell them you require a single phase 100a supply.
They won’t put anything smaller than that in anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back